Author Topic: crown knot doubled  (Read 17197 times)

Matthew Thompson

crown knot doubled
« on: June 06, 2005, 03:10:32 PM »
Greetings IGKT,

I am writing in the hope that someone may be able to point me in the right direction-

I recently bought a book on knot craft by Des Pawson. One of the projects is a 'deluxe key ring', comprising a 3 strand diamond knot, alternate crown sennit, a 6 strand star knot and a doubled crown finish ( 6 strand ). I am up to the final stage and have hit a brick wall- there is one diagram to demonstrate the doubled crown knot but after much effort I still can't figure out how to tie it.

If anyone could give me some guidance with this particular crown knot, or refer me to another book, I'd be much appreciated.

kind regards

Matt Thompson
Sydney, Australia

Andre van der Salm

• Exp. Member
  • I am knot crazy
    • Knots and Knot tying
Re: crown knot doubled
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 09:25:57 PM »
Hello matthew,

The doubled crown you have difficulties with is described and drawn on page 24 of the same book.
What you actually do is you tye a "normal" crown knot and after that you follow the leads once more, do yhey get doubled. The working ends are tucked through the middle of the knot and trimmed very short.

Hope this helps
Regards
André

Matthew Thompson

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 12:41:21 AM »
Hi Andre,

Thanks for your advice.

I'm still confused about one thing-

Having finished the star knot I'm left with 6 strands in which to tie the crown knot and double it. Do I tie this knot using all 6 strands, grouped into sets of two? Or do I take 3 alternate strands, tie a crown knot and double it with the other 3?

regards

Matt Thompson

Willeke

• knopen . ismijnhobby . nl
    • Willeke's knotted Ideas
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 12:57:49 AM »
Matthew
Looking at the diagram on page 24, I would say you tie it with all six ends, pull it partly tight and double, bring your ends through the centre of the knot and the starknot and come out just under the starknot. Then you tighten the knot all the way and pull the ends tight and cut short.

Knowing this knot you may find that you do not have the space for the doubled knot, in that case you can use it single.

Willeke
"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools,
nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen

Writer of A booklet on lanyards, available from IGKT supplies.

Matthew Thompson

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 04:15:30 AM »
Thanks for your advice Willeke and Andre. I'm an amateur at this stuff so I appreciate your guidance.

The problem I still have is that when I tie the crown knot ( as shown on page 21 ) it looks nothing like the diagram on page 24. I haven't quite figured out how  to 'follow the leads' properly ( ie to double it )- maybe when I do this it will resemble the diagram on page 24.

Once again, thanks for your time.

Matt Thompson

KnotNow!

• IGKT-PAB PAST PRESIDENT
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 09:19:23 AM »
Hi, Just a thought.  Ashley is dead.  Hensel is dead.  Graumont is dead.  I think Smith is dead.  You have Des Pawson alive and at your fingertips.  He is a better craftsman than any "dead folk" ('cept for CWA) and is still an "alive guy".   Go to the author.   For Dana, CWA and all who are not here: we need them: we can conjecture and argue and pontificate... but Des is right here, right now....!!!!!! (and my humble appologies if CWA, Hensel, Graumont et al are still with us.. or Smith).  I know Des is still here as he has been kind enough to Email me.  Give it a try.  Write to a Master (Des) and get help with this problem.  Enjoy talking with a Master.  By the way..If you start a thread on my "stuff" before I die I'll come and Haunt you when I do finally die.... :-[[....................................................! :-*
 Seriously, why not contact Des?  I am sure you can get help here but you could have a lot of fun working with the author as well! ;D
« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 08:31:48 PM by PABPRES »
ROY S. CHAPMAN, IGKT-PAB BOARD.

Darren Samphier

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 03:29:44 PM »
Matthew,

There aren't any pictures on page 21 that match what you are trying to do.  The closest is picture "a" however, Des is suggesting you tie the a six strand crown not a three strand crown using paired strands.  This means your knot will have each single strand going ove the top of its neighbor around the circle.  Then it should look like the "d" on page 24.   The last bit takes each strand and passess it through the middle of the crown and through the star knot to finish it off.

If you've tied the star you've done the hard bit.  I'm sure we can get you through the doubled crown. :)

Willeke

• knopen . ismijnhobby . nl
    • Willeke's knotted Ideas
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2005, 08:33:27 PM »
Matt,
Des told me that he did not intend this book to be a "how to tie this knot" book, so maybe the figure you need is not even in, because Des new it is in many other books.
If it is just the crown with six strands you need, I have one on my website, http://home.versatel.nl/willeke_igkt/tables/scoubi-3-eng.html

Willeke
"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools,
nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen

Writer of A booklet on lanyards, available from IGKT supplies.

Matt Thompson

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2005, 05:17:32 AM »
I finally got it!!!!

I was way off and would like to send a big thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge and thoughts. I went the long way round but I don't think I'll forget this knot easily in the future.

kind regards

Matt Thompson

KnotNow!

• IGKT-PAB PAST PRESIDENT
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2005, 07:35:00 AM »
Even though I was of no help in getting your project done I'd, most humbly,  ask you to post a picture of your finished work.  I have no way of posting pics but for me the sites are very rich in pictures as well as discussion.  
ROY S. CHAPMAN, IGKT-PAB BOARD.

Knotman

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2005, 02:36:41 PM »
Matt,
Glad you were successfull.  I'm in the middle of making the cat of nine tails from Des's book with some 3mm hemp I recently got from Des.  I think his book is a great source of ideas.  

Darren
Melbourne

Matt Thompson

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2005, 12:55:38 AM »
PABPRES,

I used some very cheap rope for this project and it hasn't stood up very well. I'm now going to start again from scratch with some better rope and when I finish it I'll definitely post some pictures.

Darren,

Look forward to picking your brain when I get to the 'cat-o-nine' tails. I'm hoping to command a bit more respect around home with one of these!

All the best.

Matt, Sydney.