Author Topic: New to sailing, need to some info.  (Read 5531 times)

CptanPanic

New to sailing, need to some info.
« on: November 11, 2008, 09:04:45 PM »
Hello,
As the title reads, I have started sailing a hobie cat, and realize that knots are useful, but I don't know what knots I need to learn to do certain things.  So first question is what is a good book to have as a reference to help in the future.  One that looks good is the "Complete Rigger's Apprentice", but any suggestions?  Second part of question is what knots would be good for the following situations; 1) Tying down stuff, such as sail bag to trailer, mast to trailer, etc.  2) Tying down an end of a rope that is under tension, such as lets say I have a flag pole and a rope tied to top, I pull on rope till pole is vertical now I want to tie rope but do not want to loosen rope to tie, assuming pole can only move in one direction.

Thanks,
CP

squarerigger

• Global Moderator
  • IGKTPAB Immediate Past President
    • The Knot Guy
Re: New to sailing, need to some info.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 07:46:16 AM »
Try Gordon Perry's book "Knots" - IMHO The Complete Rigger's Apprentice is too detailed and does not quickly get you the answers you need.  Situation 1) depends on the anchor you have - why not try the round turn and two half hitches (RT + 2HH)?  Do you have to apply tension to REALLY cinch it down?  Try the trucker's hitch.  Situation 2) Use a midshipman's hitch or tautline hitch or a rolling hitch (same, same) if tying to another part of line or, if tying to an anchor, again try the RT + 2HH or if tying around the flagpole try a rigger's hitch well-jammed.  Just my two cents.... ;D

SR 

Fairlead

• IGKT Member since 1984 - IGKT Librarian
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 06:16:53 PM »
There is a new one - written for people just like you - covers basics to knot projects and lots of handy splices.
RYA (Royal Yachting Association - UK) Knots, Splices and Ropework handbook - by Gordon Perry and Steve Judkins - wonderfully illustrated by Steve Lucas
I believe it is available in the USA from Amazon

Gordon

CptanPanic

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 08:19:42 PM »
I looked at the Perry book, and although it shows how to make all the knots, but I would like to find a book that says, if you need to do this, use this knot, etc.  Anything like that?
CP

Fairlead

• IGKT Member since 1984 - IGKT Librarian
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 09:53:03 PM »
That information is in the words, not the diagrams, although there are some helpful drawings in the RYA book

Gordon

selfmadesailor

• My site for DIY Sailors, Knot Tying and Rope Splicing Enthusiasts, and Sailboat Liveaboards - www.SelfMadeSailor.com
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 03:15:43 PM »
Hi CP,

I'm a sailor myself (on boat #4 at the moment - a 41' steel ketch).

I've got videos of how to tie many of the knots commonly found aboard our boat, including a top 6 "must know" list that, while a very minimalist list, will enable you do most things that are needed aboard your boat.

You can check it out, if you like, at www.selfmadesailor.com/knots.htm

For books, "The Morrow guide to Knots" is compact, handy, covers the basics (doesn't include splicing though), has good step-by-step photos and is fairly inexpensive ($10 or so on Amazon).

I hope that helps.

dave.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 03:16:15 PM by selfmadesailor »

oceanplats

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 02:20:39 PM »
Me - 38 years at sea ,the only book i run is the bible - just keep out of our way.
Btw - ABOK is good ,royal navy seamanship manuals are good.
Good luck Cpt

anything