Author Topic: Introducing the "Midline Bow"  (Read 3086 times)

Mason

Introducing the "Midline Bow"
« on: October 30, 2008, 08:25:18 PM »
I've been using this bow knot for a while and have not been able to find any references to it in knotting books including Ashley's.  Perhaps it's new. 

If you've seen it used or published before please let me know. 

http://plotus.dreamhosters.com/MidLoop/

Cheers

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
Re: Introducing the "Midline Bow"
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 10:08:00 AM »
Hi Mason,

I must congratulate you on the quality of the website in your link and in particular in the quality and clarity of the images - keep it up, it is an excellent example to the rest of us.

Re the knot, no I have not seen it before but maybe others more experienced than myself might have.

One 'pickey' point in your description, you used the term 'two double loops which mirror one another'  -  in fact they are identical, not mirrors.  Although it is an important distinction, your images are so good it is clear what you really mean.

As to your knot, I am interested in the target use which drove your design process.  Why did you need two slipping loops in a knot which seems to connect two hanging adjacent ropes together?  And what is the value of having them slipped?  Is this an attempt at a variation of the handcuff knot?

From a more mechanical perspective, how do you ensure that the load is 'normalised' or shared equally between the two ropes, or is this a low load situation where one rope can easily take the load?

Derek

Mason

Re: Introducing the "Midline Bow"
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 07:03:17 PM »
Hi,

This is a low load situation.  For the most part, the loop is mainly decorative.  Once in place, I like to be able to adjust the loops so they are just right.  However, with other slippery bow knots I found that once adjusted parts of it tend to come undone or at least alter as I am subsequently "doing things" with the working ends.  This bow knot allows me to tighten it to an extent that while I can still slip it the knot generally remains intact without altering as I continue to tie other things with the working ends. 

I have also considered that it could be a useful handcuff knot, should one wish to have a handcuff knot in the "midst" of things. 

Thank you for pointing out that error; I've fixed it.  Cheers.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 07:18:14 PM by Mason »