Author Topic: Turks Heads and "stuff" - a giant leap forward  (Read 6535 times)

Phil_The_Rope

• Exp. Member
  • Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
    • www.gr8-knots.com
Turks Heads and "stuff" - a giant leap forward
« on: October 01, 2008, 04:05:18 PM »
Hi Boys and Girls!

I know there's been one or two posts in the past mentioning Don Burrhus's "Turks Heads Cookbooks", but I thought I'd add my "bit". I'm grateful, by the way, to Jeff Wyatt for bringing Don's stuff to my attention.

I did manage to understand enough of Schaake & Turner's academic publications to enable me to figure out how to tie just about any turks head (or combination of turk's heads), but Don's cookbooks are absolutely ideal for the beginner.

My own passion is decorative knotting, and when teaching novices the hardest thing for them is to "finish off" a piece of work. Classic example is french hitching or cockscombimg - really pleasing patterns can be tied around tubes, posts etc., but how does one stop the ends from falling apart? Easiest solution is to hide the ends under turks heads, and Don's books give so many easy to follow options - turks heads have so many applications in decorative work.

Anyway, I digress ...

I've just bought Don's new "Globe Knot Cookbook", and although I've had little time yet to study it in detail, it promises to be rather special! I recall covering a gear knob on my motorhome by following the 2-dimensional instructions in Ashley - the result was great, but boy did it take ages!! Don has obviously done a lot of work in researching the theory of covering "globes", and the result will open up a whole new world for those interested in covering cubes and balls.

I believe Don's work is a giant leap forward, and we should recommend his stuff to anyone interested in turks heads or globe knots -check out his site at www.knottool.com

Regards,

Phil
www.gr8-knots.com
www.knotsdvd.com

What I must bring to your a

drjbrennan

• Exp. Member
Re: Turks Heads and "stuff" - a giant leap forward
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 10:39:46 AM »
Thanks for the info.

As an existing customer and fan of Dons' earlier publications and tools I am looking forward to trying these.

And Christmas is coming!
IGKT Member

Phil_The_Rope

• Exp. Member
    • www.gr8-knots.com
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 02:15:45 PM »
Some of my early attempts. As always, the tricky part is tightening up evenly, but I'm getting better.

Phil
http://www.gr8-knots.com
http://ww.knotsdvd.com

Phil_The_Rope

• Exp. Member
    • www.gr8-knots.com
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 02:17:13 PM »
And another...

Phil

Phil_The_Rope

• Exp. Member
    • www.gr8-knots.com
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 02:17:41 PM »
Last one...

Phil

WebAdmin

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 09:46:08 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion about promoting this, Phil, I'm asking Mel to include a link on the Commercial Site to Don's website.

Regards

Glenys Chew
Lesley
WebAdmin

anything