Author Topic: ABOK  (Read 7287 times)

Lynn

ABOK
« on: September 23, 2008, 04:05:15 PM »
I'm busy learning from my idol (Mr. Ashley).  On knot #1044, I think there is a discrepancy.  He says to follow the diagrams left to right and that the finished aspect of the knot is not in the center.  I think it is??  Am I right?  See scan attached

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
Re: ABOK
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 04:37:47 PM »
I think you're both right - Ashley is saying that this is one of the occasional departures from his norm of left to right diagrams but he says it in a rather convoluted way. The centre diagram of the 3 is undoubtedly the drawn up knot but you could easily read the narrative to imply the right hand diagram as the finished article. Trying to figure out what an author meant as opposed to what they seem to have said adds to the joys of learning knots from a book!

Lynn

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 09:29:17 PM »
Thanks!  I didn't call it "joy" until I started reading and posting here.  I just figured if I couldn't tie whatever according to the directions, that I was just not paying attention ( not uncommon for me) to them correctly.
But the more pages I've attempted the better my understanding and the less my frustration.  I was really proud of myself when I tied #809.  Not the first part but the reverse part.  I just kind of figured it out on my own.   Thanks for the "joy" guys.
Lynn

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 03:40:54 PM »
Lynn

Well done! #809 is a more fiddly way of tying #808 to me and I've never tried adding a reversed knot. The single version resembles #1422 which I occasionally use as a bend because it looks nice and is pretty quick and easy to tie. My own favourite crown based knot is a 3 loop version of #1106 with the secondary loops left smaller than the main ones (this is also called a 'good luck knot' or 'shamrock knot'). If you're trying it for the 1st time #1097 is probably a good place to start increasing the number of loops after a bit of practice - the second crown is easier to tie and is on top of the first one rather than behind. Handy for keeping small bunches of keys separated when hung up or on a belt etc.

Barry

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 07:58:27 PM »
I'm busy learning from my idol (Mr. Ashley).
Beware idolization:  that might too bias observation!  --though you do very well, here.

On knot #1044, I think there is a discrepancy.
And I concur in this, which I'd not noticed previously (although #1044 is cited as
being in error in the center/finished image, wrongly showing the lower leg of the
eye lying **below** vs. atop of the end).

Sweeney's defence of Ashley has some merit, but I think we need to cite this
as an error worth straightening out.  A. could be intending to explain (belatedly,
being late in this page's series) #1042..5's ordering, which differs from that of
#1038..41, and those of prior pp, many of which have only one or no unfinished
diagram.  But this is hardly perspicuous, and the comment if so intended belongs
elsewhere, not attached to this particular knot.  --could be a remnant undiscovered
from the state of his collection at some point prior to completion, possibly when
knot entries were in a different order.

-------
Btw, Lynn, as you're doing a good attentive job in moving through this great
reference, please note that there is a fairly moribund but well intentioned
effort on this forum to provide "An Improved Index" for ABOK, in which
we give (in a particular format) full listings of where knots are cited.  (You will
have to search for the link to this thread, or later I or another can provide it.)

Cheers,
--dl*
====
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 08:09:09 PM by Dan_Lehman »

skyout

• Fancy Knots by skyout
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 10:21:06 PM »
-------
Btw, Lynn, as you're doing a good attentive job in moving through this great
reference, please note that there is a fairly moribund but well intentioned
effort on this forum to provide "An Improved Index" for ABOK, in which
we give (in a particular format) full listings of where knots are cited.  (You will
have to search for the link to this thread, or later I or another can provide it.)

Cheers,
--dl*
====
Here's the link for the thread:
http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=1006.0
And the link for ABoK WikiIndex is here:
http://knotcyphers.pbwiki.com/ABoK-WikiIndex

I never did see a link for the .pdf file for the ABOK???

Frayed Knot Arts

• Knot too smart at times....
    • Frayed Knot Arts
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 10:55:30 PM »
I never did see a link for the .pdf file for the ABOK???

There is a .pdf of ABOK out in cyberspace, but I don't think you'll find a link for iit here as ABOK, "The Encyclopedia" and many other knot books are still under copyright.  I could be wrong, of course...

Lynn

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 03:47:37 PM »
Beware idolization:  that might too bias observation!  --though you do very well, here

I don't know how to say this- but I think I just realized that some of the people who are taking the time to answer me may very well qualify for a little "idolization" on my part as well.  I am an equal opportunity idolizer (sp?).  I've never "chatted" on line before, even in my "genealogy days" (which are not over-just on hold).  This is fun.  I hope that my contributions are not too trivial and maybe somewhat entertaining to someone.  I just want to THANK all of those who have started my "chatting career".  Being a passionate yet relatively new knotter, maybe I'll ask something someone else wants to know? 

With all of the capability of this message program - can you spell check?

Lynn

skyout

• Fancy Knots by skyout
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008, 03:46:15 AM »
I have Firefox and when I type a misspelled word it gets underlined in red; I then just rt click on it and it gives me options to choose from.

I enjoy your posts and hope they continue (and am still waiting for a better nonglarie [spell check doesn't like "nonglarie"  ;D] pic of your knot board). 

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2008, 02:04:54 PM »
You can compose your message in another program (eg Word) spell check it and then copy and paste into here.  You will need to insert formatting such as bold and underline as this will not be carried over.

Frayed Knot Arts

• Knot too smart at times....
    • Frayed Knot Arts
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 01:19:40 PM »
SPLEE-CHUCKING?  My DEAR girl!  It wud remove the flavour of the posst!

Lynn

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2008, 04:43:51 PM »
SPLEE-CHUCKING

At first I thought that was a knot or knotty term I'd never heard of!!!

Yeah, that's what I did; I copied it to word and then back again.

As to my humble knot board, I'll try to get a picture this weekend.  Last year I took it apart to fix a drooping knot, clean a streak on the inside and to retie the Surgeon's Knot (I had too many twists on the top); it took me all night to get the screw out that my husband put on the top of the shadow box!!!  Soooo, I think only if we sell the boat will I attempt that again.  I'll try different angles; in one of my pictures you can actually see me taking the picture! 

Another question---when do you change the title of the thread?