Author Topic: Adding yarn to rib stitching [ABOK3547]  (Read 4680 times)

SFC1620

Adding yarn to rib stitching [ABOK3547]
« on: August 28, 2008, 12:04:45 PM »
I have been trying my hands at some covering stitches, hoping to make something in time for christmas, but I cannot for the love of me figure out how to add line without it being visibly lumpy or breaking the pattern.
At the moment I?m just working the new cord into the old ones loops before I run out, and let the old ones end pass through one or two loops before I cut it.

I use 1.2mm nylon brick layer cord (3 stranded) for my test dummy bottle, is splicing a solid solution? I?ve held off of it because I?m guessing I?d have to use binoculars to see what I?m doing and because I have my doubts as to the result.. Will happily go at it if someone has tried it before?

I?m surprised there isn?t more on needle stitching on the web or maybe I?m just not internet savvy enough to find it??

/Carl T?rnqvist

Lasse_C

• The price of skill is neverending practice
    • Photo galleries (Text in Swedish)
Re: Adding yarn to rib stitching [ABOK3547]
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 01:31:59 PM »
What?!?!
You live in V?nersborg, too?  :o
Come to "Repslagardagen" at ?lv?ngens Repslagarmuseum sept 20, and you will find people who can show you.
Stitching is one of my specialties: http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a167/LasseC/Bottles%20and%20jugs/

Lasse C

SFC1620

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 03:37:03 PM »
I most certainly will!

Exellent work by the way!

Carl T

Lasse_C

• The price of skill is neverending practice
    • Photo galleries (Text in Swedish)
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 06:05:35 PM »
Great!
I will see you there, then! I will be exhibiting my stuff there.

Lasse C

SFC1620

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 05:57:54 PM »
I have found a decent description on how to do this now. In Sune Berkmann?s Knopar och Sj?mansarbeten (1969)

His method is this:
During one of the hitches, do not complete but bring the end up a ways inside the stitchwork. Pull it to the outside, make a crown and pull that one down a bit on the line so that it comes into the stitchwork and locks. Cut the remaining ends are cut.
Pull the end of the new line up in the stitchwork from the side thta completes the on-going hitch, pull it out and make a crown that is once again pulled inside and locked. Continue stitching.

Does this sound familiar to you stitchers out there or is this an inferior method?

anything