Author Topic: 3D Drawing Program  (Read 8160 times)

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
3D Drawing Program
« on: July 25, 2008, 04:24:27 PM »
I have posted this over on Another Step Forward,  but it is such an important step in the development of knotting programs that I think it deserves a thread all of its own.

Go here http://www.abbott.demon.co.uk/knottyer3d.html for a free download of an amazing 3D knot drawing and displaying program.

Having written FCB42, I am in awe of its creator one Steve Abbott.

The thing that really amazes me is that he published this program way back in 2005 - and I only just came across it !!

Derek

TheTreeSpyder

• Exp. Member
Re: 3D Drawing Program
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 12:10:28 PM »
This is a pretty neat program, maybe i should give it another shot as it has evolved. 

Curves are kinda harder to make, as it moves in straight lines.  To get around having to have a special viewr for end user, you can output in .bmp slides, but this is almost 1meg a slice.  Much more efficient is to then convert the .bmp slices to .gif, whereby the file slices are 1% the size, then make animated .gif.  The 'gif compression algorithm works better if the lines are kept more horizontal.  This will cause some s-light drop in quality. 

i did find i could pull a slice into Flash and animate (for smaller file, animate and control speed, even make a slide control over progress, rather than step by step or all at once't), but this is only efficient if using only 1 line tied to itself IMLHO.

The drop in quality isn't tooo bad, but definitely if ya got real fancy, you'd want to consider just going to .jpg rather than .gif if file size is an issue, But then animating isn't as easy.  But, at that level of art, the .gif slices would be actually bigger (and lower quality) than the .jpg form anyway.  The program really shines with celtic etc. lacings, especially when created then placed thru a higher/real power 3d program.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 12:18:53 PM by TheTreeSpyder »

TheTreeSpyder

• Exp. Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 03:00:53 AM »
Here are some of the same pictures, in different formats.  The .swf will be the clearest, be able to be blown up the most etc.; it is 1k (actually a lil'less).  This means faster downloading.  The .bmp is about the clearest raster (non-vector) graphic, but is 1,540k.  The .jpg drops the quality some, but comes in at 23k, while the gif dropsquality even more, but 'weighs in' at 52k.  If there wasn't shading, just flat color, the .gif would fare more better quality and file size wise, and even smaller if the lines remain horizontal.

At this stage, this isn't tooo bad, but if we animated at 20 frames per second, the raster graphics (.bmp, .jpg, .gif not the vectorized Flash .swf) would demand a download of 20 x the file size x the amount of seconds of play.  While the vector .swf, might only need a few more k's to play a 30 second animation, and be sharper than the other formats too.   These are 2d with shading and masking to imitate 3d.

The 1k .swf

The .bmp file is too big a file size to post here, so i linked it..
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 03:02:12 AM by TheTreeSpyder »

Knot Head

• Knot Head
  • Exp. Member
  • A knot is not just a knot...
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 05:49:22 PM »
I wish he would port the app for Mac owners too. That looks to have improved quite nicely. Also he gives a link to the program called Pretzangles. That would be an interesting program to use for the paper folding.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 05:53:35 PM by Knot Head »
Regards,
Brian Kidd