Author Topic: Knot blog  (Read 5949 times)

TomKnots

Knot blog
« on: June 12, 2008, 03:57:23 PM »
I posted this in Chit Chat but I thought it should go here as well.  I sort of assumed that most folks check both groups but that may not be the case. At any rate here's the info. 

I have recently set up a blog site focusing on half hitching would appreciate it if you would have a look and see what you think.  The address is tomknots.blogspot.com.  It has taken a while to get it organized and photos uploaded via dialup but it hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be.  I figure I can sit here and tie some more knots while the upload makes its way to where ever it needs to go.  Anyway - please have a look. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

If you have already seen this, sorry for the repeat.

Tom B.

Znex

Re: Knot blog
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 10:35:54 PM »
Wow  :o That's some really nice work. I'm afraid I have a long way to go to create something just half as nice as what you have done. Thanks for sharing...!

TomKnots

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 05:34:45 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  The half hitch is a simple knot but if you put a bunch of them together, you can make some very nice things.

Tom B.

dfred

• Exp. Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 07:18:11 PM »

There's no use in trying to be modest, these are very clean and artistic.  I really like the scaling of the macro features built from these simple components, it is all very aesthetically proportioned.  I also am impressed by the variation in spacing of the hitches to give the illusion of depth.  Several of the meshes of half-hitches take on the look of mathematical surfaces (for lack of a better phrase) as the spacings between the hitches is carefully varied.  (e.g:  2295).

TomKnots

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 04:47:03 PM »
Thanks Dfred - I appreciate the comments.  I have tied a number of knots over the years but the half hitch offers really large possibilities for design and display.  The hitches can be made over a variety of strands rather than just one and they have different looks from front and back, left and right, spaced and grouped, and on and on.  I think macrame offers some similar possibilities but I prefer working with single strands.  The outcome depends almost entirely upon initial spacing and consistent tension. 

Mrs Glenys Chew

• Administrator
  • Exp. Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 09:15:06 PM »
Hi Tom,

Thank you for the beautiful work you've been doing.  I had no idea that half-hitching could be so varied.  I didn't see any notes posted as to how long a given project might take you.

How did you come to take up half-hitching?

Regards

Glenys Chew
Mrs Glenys Chew
1 Corinthians 15:10

TomKnots

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 08:38:17 PM »
I?m happy you like the knots,  I enjoy tying them and get lots of nice feedback but it means more coming from knot folk.  I will be adding more content to the blog posts as time goes by but I wanted to get stuff online and then go back and try to get it right.

I started tying back in the mid sixties and I?ve been at it off and on since then.  I started half hitching about ten years ago on bottles, vases, and most anything that held still long enough to wrap.  It seems that every time I work on a project I learn something new or get some ideas to try on the next project.  The time involved varies with the size of the project and how many times I run into dead ends and have to undo and redo stuff.  The acorn type things can be timed in hours, vases and bottles usually in days and the framed projects take weeks.  The framed projects opened up a new set of possibilities for design as well as size.  I started with small frames and have continued increasing the size after each completion.  I still do small ones to try out things but the larger projects offer more options.  Hitching around and object limits what you can do to the shape and size of the thing to be covered.  Hitching fabric on a frame provides many more design possibilities.  Early frames 2295 and 2197 took a long time to find a suitable form to put on top of the jute weave and are pretty traditional shapes.  Trickier frames have a more open weave and it?s harder to find something that works with the background - 2194 sat around for nearly a year before I stumbled onto something that worked with the background.  2196 is a smaller version in the same style.  2293 came later and required something different and 2291 is the latest and largest of my projects.  The numbers are numbers my camera assigns when I take a picture.   I seem to be blathering on for too long and I will stop.  I need to put this sort of tale on the blog where it belongs. 

Thanks for asking - I hope this provides an adequate answer.

Tom B.