Author Topic: Full Nelson loop and exploding bend - are these new?  (Read 21550 times)

Hilary Mark Nelson

Re: Full Nelson loop and exploding bend - are these new?
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2008, 03:23:40 PM »
Perhaps such an undertaking is a long way off yet, but to even start thinking about it we would need 3D programming skills on board.  Would a challenge like this be of interest to you?

It sounds like an admirable goal and an interesting project, but I'm not the man for the job. My 3D skills are limited to using 3D modelling and animation applications. I have no experience with the sort of programming that goes into creating those tools.

Too bad for me -- it sounds like it would be an interesting challenge. Good luck, and I'll keep it in mind, in case I run across someone who might be a good match for it.

-Hilary

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2008, 06:25:16 PM »
There are various arrangements of these loopknots.  I found one version to be too
vulnerable to ring-loading failure.  Locktight II I think works a little better in stiff rope.
One can try to make the SPart take a gradual wrap into the knot, and to have it nip
and draw the end (which should be relatively soft/compressible) rather than turn
against a firmly loaded eye leg.  And the number of wraps is variable.  (One could
regard what the Ency.of Knots&Fancy Ropework calls the "Twist Bowline" [pp.36-7. #197]
as the first member of this pseudo-bowline set; though it should then be seen as a
degenerate member, lacking any overwrap (a similar difference between the
Overhand & mutiple Oh.s in the Strangle orientation).)

I work with Adobe Illustrator every day so I am well aware of the huge amount of work that you have had to put
in to create these lovely diagrams.  Many many times harder than just drawing the thing with a pencil and paper.
Good GRIEF !!!??  If Illustrator is that encumbered, what's the point of paying $$$ for it, then?
(I've mused about what I might do with the CSE suite, e.g., or which components of it I should get.)
Seems indeed that, esp. for me who is now adept with a pen, it is much better to simply draw
the knot and photograph/scan the drawing.  (And the camera makes good recording of Knots
In The Wild!)

--dl*
====

Hilary Mark Nelson

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2008, 07:18:20 PM »
Good GRIEF !!!??  If Illustrator is that encumbered, what's the point of paying $$$ for it, then?
(I've mused about what I might do with the CSE suite, e.g., or which components of it I should get.)
Seems indeed that, esp. for me who is now adept with a pen, it is much better to simply draw
the knot and photograph/scan the drawing.  (And the camera makes good recording of Knots
In The Wild!)

I certainly wouldn't buy it just to draw knots -- that would be like buying a Hummer to make occasional trips to the corner store.   :)

I use it for my day job, and since it's already on my desktop, I open it up whenever I want to make a nice, clean illustration of something. If I didn't have it, then I'd definitely be using paper and pencil or (more likely) a digital camera.

-Hilary

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2008, 08:40:23 PM »
I appreciate that the little FCB drawing utility cannot produce diagrams even remotely as wonderful as the ones Hilary has produced using Adobe Illustrator, but then FCB does not cost as much - it's FREE, it doesn't eat up disk space and memory - it's small, it doesn't have to be installed - just download the exe and double click it to run, and last, after a little practice, it allows a diagram to be drawn in just a couple of minutes.

BUT - it is crude - give it a try, download it from this link, run it and practice clicking on the template tiles on the left to select a tile, then click into the grid squares to paint the tile into that grid square.

http://knotcyphers.pbwiki.com/f/FCBV41.exe

There are a few more tools like shifting the drawing around the grid, swapping the 'hand', using more than one coloured cord and right clicking in a cell to select the 'tile' in that cell to use with the left click (useful for picking up a blank cell to paint out mistakes).

Accepting that the utility is crude and has a long way to go to be the sort of tool that members might find useful and perhaps even enjoy using, it would be very useful to me if I could have some feedback as to what its most important limitations are - which things don't folks like, what things are missing that could be deemed as important in such a utility.

The next version release will have the facility to link directly from a drawing to the knots page in the Wiki Library, but beyond that we will be looking to pool all the knowledge gained during the creation of these early versions and use this knowledge as the basis for the design of the new utility and as much feedback from members as possible would be valuable and appreciated.

Derek