Author Topic: Knotting Podcasts  (Read 11009 times)

drjbrennan

• Exp. Member
Knotting Podcasts
« on: June 02, 2008, 11:21:42 PM »
As a new owner of a whizzy PC with I-tunes etc, I started looking around for knotting Podcasts. Is anybody doing them?  Any info on this subject would be most appreciated.
IGKT Member

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
Re: Knotting Podcasts
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 07:37:40 AM »
What's a Podcast?

Derek

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 05:15:12 PM »
Hello Derek, a good description/definition of what a podcast is located here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podcast

drjbrennan sir, As for finding them on the net, I have had success to date with just podcasts relating to fishing.
Perhaps one of our technically savvy members can jump into the arena here.

These podcasts can be viewed on a pc, then captured and burned to a storage medium or can be added to a video IPOD. A whole knew learning curve awaits you.

Here are two e-addresses to check out.
http://www.fishingclub.com/ExtraContent/ExtraContentHome.aspx
http://www.getapodcast.com/podcast6803.aspx

Hope that this helps a little.

Scott

Knot Head

• Knot Head
  • Exp. Member
  • A knot is not just a knot...
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 07:11:37 PM »
Well, I have my Video Gallery at my site. That could be a close PodCast. That is an interesting idea though. However, most are somewhat bashful in front of a camera. I know that some of those pod casts have to be planned out and scripted in order to have one at least without a lot of mistakes.
Regards,
Brian Kidd

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 10:08:27 AM »
Hi Scott,

So would the training videos made by Phill the Rope be classified as Podcasts or would they have to be available through an RSS feeder before they qualified?

I liked the Wikepedia description of some of the uses of these sound and video sources and it struck me that as the Guild are spread thinly over the globe, we might utilise this technology to allow members who cannot attend meetings to be able to a least follow the content of those meetings after the event.

How about we start with the Guild AGM business section as a podcast?

What would we need to set this up?

Derek

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 12:32:06 PM »
Hi Derek,
I am by no means the expert here and will  bow out to anyone who can fill the needs here.
I agree that this would be great technology for the Guild to use, in many ways.
The videos that Phil the Rope has on his site or any Youtube video is already part of the way there.
There are podcast hosting sites all over the net nowadays and I think the costs are well affordable (may be some freebies out there).
Would certainly love to see tutorials placed in this format. Might make the ongoing challenge of cataloging and naming easier? Just a thought.
But then I would love to see the Knotting Matters come into digital being too.
I think that any digital camera that can do video and audio would be an equipment start.

Scott

Knot Head

• Knot Head
  • Exp. Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 04:06:17 PM »
I think the biggest issue I have been running into with the videos is the size. The bigger the video the longer it takes to convert to a web format suitable for viewing in the browser. Then comes in the saved format(Compression). The less compression the better the quality video, the more compression the lesser quality of the video. Then you have to think about the end user who is going to view the video, by that I mean what major bandwidth visits the website a lot, example; high band users(T-1, T-3, DSL, Cable) Low bandwidth users(Dial up)... Choosing a format to save in, or convert to is the most important thing you will do in the video making process. With out good quality and decent video size that will work for the major bandwidth users who visit the website, you will be hogging up hosting space and hosting bandwidth.

Make sure you have enough bandwidth on your hosting provider to support pod casting. You could very easily go beyond you hosting bandwidth cap(limit) that the host provider sets up for you when you buy the space to host your site. Make sure also, that your hosting provider supports the various video formats before spending the time converting your videos. I believe pod casting like said above is the way to go for good documentation of the many knots to tie. I myself am a bit camera shy and well plainly put my face could break plexi-glass. LOL... Hope that this little tid bit will help someone with making a good pod cast video.

Brian...
Regards,
Brian Kidd

Phil_The_Rope

• Exp. Member
  • Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
    • www.gr8-knots.com
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 07:31:01 PM »
Phil The Rope here (I saw my name mentioned, but not in vain thankfully!)

I have experimented for some time with web-based videos, and am currently using YouTube as the preferred medium) ...

YouTube seems to have decent "streaming" facilities, and I don't have to worry about using my own web space! That means I can upload better quality videos than I would normally publish to the web.

Many of you will know that I am now in partnership with Richard Phelan, who produced the "Knots Made Easy" VHS video in the 1990's. We are in the process of producing a menu-driven DVD version of that video, and intend to continue to use YouTube to post examples.

Incidentally, the DVD publicises, and gives credit to, the IGKT (obviously, as members have been  both inspirational and helpful), and the introduction prominently thanks members of the IGKT for their help.

Obviously, this is a commercail venture, although we are taking the opportunity to promote the Guild too, as we all hope to increase the profile of the Guild and knot tying in general.

Must spend more time on the foumsnow I'm quitting my job ..

Get Knotted!

Phil The Rope
www.gr8-knots.com
(and make sure you check out www.knotsdvd.com )

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 07:32:28 PM »
OK, I don't know if I am going forward or backward here!

Is a video on YouTube a Podcast?  And if it isn't then what is the difference?

If it is a podcast, then could we put the video of the AGM onto YouTube and not be worried by the bandwidth issues the Knot Head warns of?

Phil,

With your newfound professional expertise in producing videos, would you be able and prepared to support and advise the Guild to help set up a Podcast of the likes of the AGM? (should we manage to get consensus and Officer approval to do this of course)

Derek

Knot Head

• Knot Head
  • Exp. Member
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 07:38:18 PM »
Not much of a difference really. One would be just a pod cast(Voice Narrated), and the other is a Video Pod Cast(Streaming video). You should be able to upload to the YouTube no problem at all.
Regards,
Brian Kidd

Phil_The_Rope

• Exp. Member
  • Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
    • www.gr8-knots.com
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 08:01:16 PM »
Hi Boys and Girls!

Not quite got my head around the definition of "Podcast" just yet!

However, I do have some video of this year's AGM - the whole of the AGM meeting itself, plus some "social" stuff - there's some particularly nice bits of evening entertainment. I did start putting a DVD together to send to the Guild committee, but I ran out of disk space whilst trying to do some paid work! However, the raw material remains on my backup disk so I will get around to producing something sometime soon.

One of my favourite bits is of Bob and Abbey singing, but I am not sure about posting video on the internet without their permission? I am real happy to help the IGKT any way I can, and if that includes video of events then sure!

Regards,

Phil

Knot Head

• Knot Head
  • Exp. Member
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 08:09:22 PM »
Difference;

1. Pod Cast (Voice Narrated)
2. Video Pod Cast (Streaming video)
 ;)
Regards,
Brian Kidd

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 08:27:22 PM »
So, one step at a time.

Phil has a video of the AGM and is prepared to make it available to us to use as a video podcast and to offer help anyway he can to make such a podcast happen.

YouTube can be used to host the podcast and supplies the hosting bandwidth free.

Does that mean that all we need is permission from the Officers to make this happen?

If so, who has contact with the officers and would be prepared to ask if we can go ahead with this?

Derek

Knot Head

• Knot Head
  • Exp. Member
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 06:22:38 AM »
Yes. YouTube is a good solution for what you are seeking.
Regards,
Brian Kidd

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 01:18:34 PM »
We got into this investigating what a Podcast was  and I assumed it was for audio, as in an audio-book, but we evolved to the tech level of Vodcast.

Since I don't think that the AGM meeting and the "social" stuff would be terribly exciting in audio only format, a youtube access video of it would make sense.

If and when the youtube or another placed video becomes available I would love to view it.

For those who would like to archive it, if and when it does come down the pike, there are ways to capture it/them off of the sites and transfer to storage media (for private consumption only).

Scott