Author Topic: Help: Ceremonial Paddle  (Read 17038 times)

Draconis.Wyrm

Help: Ceremonial Paddle
« on: May 18, 2008, 01:11:28 AM »
I'm trying to design a paddle. What knots should I use/incorporate?

Fairlead

• IGKT Member since 1984 - IGKT Librarian
Re: Help: Ceremonial Paddle
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 08:40:41 AM »
I am afraid you will have to provide much more information than this, if you are to get a sensible response.
What, Why, Where, When, Who and maybe How are a good basis on which to construct a requirement.
There is also a language variation to consider - here in the UK 'paddle' can mean - an oar for small boat or canoe, a part of a water wheel, putting ones feet in shallow water, water flow controls in a canal lock gate; the list goes on, so please give us more specific information

Gordon

drjbrennan

• Exp. Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 04:53:02 PM »
It also refers to an instrument of corporal punishment.
IGKT Member

aknotter

• Exp. Member
  • Member IGKT-PAB since 2000
    • Pacific Americas Branch of the IGKT
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 07:11:28 PM »
Here is a pic of some paddles done by IGKT-PAB member John Kluge. He brought them to a meeting back in 2006.
Jimmy R Williams - IGKTPAB Secretary/Treasurer
Site: IGKTPAB.ORG Email: IGKTPAB@GMAIL.COM
Event Pix: PICASAWEB.GOOGLE.COM/IGKTPAB

Draconis.Wyrm

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 02:50:46 AM »
"I wanted to design two ceremonial paddles, the kind presented to important Navy persons. It's kind of late, now, but learning how to tie a paddle would still be great. They're the kind of paddles where you knot the handles, then make a border and whatnot that gets glued to the blade, around a plaque."

Mrs Glenys Chew

• Administrator
  • Exp. Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 10:24:44 PM »
Hi Draconis,

Do you have any extra information on the paddles that you have in mind?  An URL where we can see something like, maybe?

I'm not familiar with anyone from the Navy, to know what would be presented to them, or how it would be decorated, but it does seem to me that the handles are the main part of what would be decorated, the blade of the paddle would perhaps have to be needle-hitched or similar if you want the whole thing covered.

If it's just the shaft that's being covered, then there are often displays of walking sticks which could give you a good starter - I saw some nice ones at the October '07 Guild Meeting.

The one URL I found was http://members.aol.com/stanpope2/wstick.html which is good on instructions generally, but the pictures aren't quite sharp enough for detail.

Alternatively, see if you can get hold of Stewart Grainger's (not the actor) book "Creative Ropecraft" - or similar books.  Amazon.co.uk lists him as Stuart Grainger, so I'm not sure.  Can anyone else suggest a good book for this sort of work?

Regards
Glenys
Mrs Glenys Chew
1 Corinthians 15:10

aknotter

• Exp. Member
  • Member IGKT-PAB since 2000
    • Pacific Americas Branch of the IGKT
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 12:10:39 AM »
The pictures of the paddles that I posted were done by a Navy man for presentation to other Navy folks at some ceremony. Don't know if it was promotions or anniversary or what.
Jimmy R Williams - IGKTPAB Secretary/Treasurer
Site: IGKTPAB.ORG Email: IGKTPAB@GMAIL.COM
Event Pix: PICASAWEB.GOOGLE.COM/IGKTPAB

Frayed Knot Arts

• Knot too smart at times....
    • Frayed Knot Arts
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 12:51:53 AM »
Have a look here http://www.frayedknotarts.com/military.html and scroll down a bit until you hit the paddles... there's one then more further down.

skyout

• Fancy Knots by skyout
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 08:35:09 PM »
I recently acquired two paddles from an antique store in TX where my new son-in-law is in the Army and preparing for his second tour to the middle east (he's leaving in a week or two). They're fairly old and pretty cool as far as construction, with a dowel in the hand grip part at the top and the bottom of the handle is rabbited over the blade.

So my question is what would be the best way to tie two paddles together in the shape of an X to display on a wall? It wouldn't be a true X but would be wider than it is tall. It would be nice if it could be hung with just one attachment point (screw in the wall) so not to destroy the wall with a bunch of holes. It will hang high enough so no little hands can get to it (over an archway with a cathedral ceiling), but needs to be secure so it won't come crashing down on anyone if the space shuttle comes to town bringing the sonic boom from breaking the sound barrier.

I don't have the ABOK so I have no idea what you guys are talking about when you use his numbers to describe knots. lol

Thanks in advance for any help.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 09:20:29 PM by skyout »

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 02:47:59 PM »
I was intrigued by this so with the aid of 2 brooms (which I'll call paddles from now on so it makes more sense) on the kitchen floor I had a go at hanging them. What I did was to take one piece of cord and attach one end to the shaft a liitle back from where the left paddle blade meets the shaft, put a clove hitch around the shaft of the other paddle blade, left a bight then added a clove hitch to the shaft on the right finishing by hitching the remaining end to the right hand paddle. Brooms are probably more heavily weighted towrd the head than paddles so that this worked when I picked up the bight looks promising! If I was doing this 'for real' I would use 4 tight turks heads - one at each attachment point - and a 5th (perhaps not so tightly worked) covering the point where the paddles cross to add some security. It is crucial to ensure that the cord is the same length between shafts on each side and is at the same point on each shaft (unless they differ markedly in weight when some experimentation may be needed). It should hang on one screw/hook and if nothing else this solution might spur someone else to a better one!. Should look nice too.

PS if this makes no sense I'll try and draw something.

skyout

• Fancy Knots by skyout
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 05:24:23 PM »
You have two brooms??? Just kidding, thanks Sweeney for taking the time to try this out. I really could not follow your directions, sorry. Would love to see the drawing.

I put this up at KHWW and had a great discussion there, even getting into refinishing antiques.
http://www.khww.net/forum/viewthread.php?forum_id=6&thread_id=417&pid=3053#post_3053

Is it something like this with the corners being the hitches covered by TH and the circle in the middle being the bight?

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 06:00:46 PM »
...we even have a vacuum cleaner too! Crude drawing attached (the rectangle on your picture is about right). This is a bit lopsided and the top bight is probably too large but I think you can get the idea.

Barry
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 06:01:34 PM by Sweeney »

skyout

• Fancy Knots by skyout
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 06:27:39 PM »
Thanks Barry. I like the drawing. It would look pretty cool and give me a chance to practice a nice sennit to go along with the THs. Thanks again.

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 02:49:54 PM »
Happy to help - best of luck.

Barry