Author Topic: AGM  (Read 1958 times)

Phil_The_Rope

• Exp. Member
  • Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
    • www.gr8-knots.com
AGM
« on: May 11, 2008, 06:56:20 PM »
I'd like to thank all my friends, old and new, for the best weekend I can remember for a long, long time.

From the moment I turned up on Friday at Singleton, I think my blood pressure started dropping. Knotty folks are the friendliest, most helpful people in the world. First example was Charlie ... "where's the camp site?" I asked. Rather than pointing or drawing a map, he jumped in my camper van and took me to the camping field (and then, of course, he had to climb the hill back to the "Shed" - can we ever forgive Ken Nelson for calling it that?)

Sounds corny, perhaps, but the IGKT is like a family, and I am so, SO sorry that I've missed the last few annual events. My wife, Sheila, even did a 4 hour round trip on Saturday to visit - she's not particularly interested in knotting, but she likes the people! Unfortunately, she was unable to stay Saturday night (I wish she had - she might have dissuaded me from drinking gallons of alcohol!)

On Friday night a group of us talked (much of it nonsense, but who cares?) into the early hours - it was so dark we couldn't actually see who we were talking to, but that didn't matter. Saturday night was even later, but what a fabulous evening it was. Sunday morning I got a knock on my camper door saying "breakfast in 20 minutes", which was very thoughtful. Talking of which, thanks to Ian and Paul for those breakfasts.

As some of you may know, I'm very keen on using video for promoting knot tying. I had so many useful suggestions over the weekend, much cheaper than going to those expensive marketing people!

Video - I filmed the whole of the AGM, and I'll send a copy of that to Dave for the records. During the AGM of course we had two "Portraits of Knot Tyers" from Dan and Bob, and I'll make sure they get copies too. I was privileged to talk to both of these guys over the weekend. I also have film of some of the evening socials, including the duet of Abbey and Bob.

I know there was the "official" thanking of Charlie and Nicola for organising such a fantastic venue for the weekend, but I'd like to add my own personal thanks because I had such a terrific time.

I know I can go on a bit, so I'll stop now!

Phil The Rope
www.gr8-knots.com