Author Topic: Boating Knot  (Read 6792 times)

dephollywood

Boating Knot
« on: May 05, 2008, 03:10:09 PM »
I started thinking about doing knot work on boats, and I found this knot.  I am really intrested in learning how to do it, but I don't know what it is called so I can't even look it up.  Any help would be much appreciated.

dephollywood

Re: Boating Knot
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 05:30:26 PM »
Ok, now I feel stupid.  The end knot is a triple turk's head.  Still don't know what the middle is, or how to connect the two.

squarerigger

• Global Moderator
  • IGKTPAB Immediate Past President
    • The Knot Guy
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 05:45:19 PM »
The end knots are three lead, four bight Turk's Head knots which have been tripled.  Each is a single piece of cord.  The remainder of the covering is three strand cockscombing, made using half-hitches alternating left and right.  It is made with three separate pieces of cord.  There is likely no joint between the Turk's Head and the cockscombing, although it would certainly be possible to use one of the strands from the cockscombing to make the TH at each end, so that you only have one end to bury instead of two.  The cord appears to be paracord.  Hope this helps!

SR

Znex

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 06:10:15 PM »
Here is a link to the three strand cockscombing process that I found at Marinews.com...

http://marinews.com/Cockscombing-622.php

PatDucey

• IGKT Pacific Americas Branch
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 08:13:50 PM »
The Turks Heads might also be 3Lead x 5Bight.  Very similar to the 3Lead x 4Bight, but hard to tell without putting a hand on the knot, and actually counting the bights.

SquareRigger is right about the three strand cockscombing, and it does indeed look like paracord.  It also might have a coating, like varnish, on it.  Again, hard to tell without touching it.  Very nice work, individually the knots are are relativelly easy to tie, I see a good many hours of labor in this project.  And to make it all come out looking even and square, and no nicks on the stainless, very nice job.

To tie this kind of work yourself, it makes a much easier job if you can take the wheel off the boat, and tie it in your lap.  The covering on the rack at the back of the boat doesn't fit in your lap, so it has to be tied in place.  This makes it a little more difficult to tie, but easier if you can bring a chair alongside, and work in the shade, with a cool beverage nearby.

Pat

dephollywood

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 12:05:47 PM »
I will be able to remove the steering wheel, and do it myself.  The platform that you see in the picture is acutally a factory direct option, so they can do it before they install it on the boat.  Kinda nice, but I's a DIY kinda guy.  Thanks everyone for your help. ;D