Author Topic: What are these two knots called?  (Read 9261 times)


  • New Member
  • *
  • Posts: 2
What are these two knots called?
« on: April 29, 2008, 06:56:01 PM »
Ok, I just found this forum last night and I'm hoping it is going to be my saving grace.

So, I need help identifying two knots.

I recently purchased this ankle bracelet for $25. It was $25 because the hearts are real Jade. I could care less about the Jade, but can't find any other bracelets like it with just regular beads. I'm pretty crafty, and I've done a lot of arts and crafts projects in my day, so I thought I would just make me some more with some pretty thread and some of the tons and tons of beads I already have.

The problem is I am not good at figuring out knots. Once I have a pattern I'm ok, but I don't know how to recreate them, so I figured if I can identify them, it will be much easier to find a pattern for them and I can then make me a wider variety of ankle bracelets with different color threads and a variety of beads.

The knot that looks like a macrome knot is a slip knot that if you pull on the strings it tightens/loosens the bracelet. I think it's also importanat to note that it "looks like" that skip knot isn't joined to the strings at all, it looks like the strings just go through it but aren't attached to it. So making that one and cutting it off at the ends without messing it up ought to be very interesting. I bet I go though a lot of thread before I even get one bracelet done, LOL! So, I need to know what this knot is called so that I can find instructions for recreating it. The other knot I need to identify goes from where the beads end and is made with what looks like two strings cause that's how many are coming out at the end, but that confuses me a little bit cause how do you get a rope knot like that with just two strings?

I am uploading a small version of this image, at 800 px wide so that it doesn't make the page scroll horizontally or take up too much space etc, and I certainly don't want to make anyone mad. I do have an original that is 3000 px wide so you can see more detail. If anyone would like to look at that one, I've uploaded it at so you can download it from there and look at it bigger and in more detail.

If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it. I have been trying to figure this out for about three weeks now and it's driving me crazy. I finally figured I'd better ask for some help before I go off of the deep end. Also, if anyone has suggestions on how to accomplish pretty much the same thing, even if they don't look EXACTLY the same, I would love to hear those ideas as well. Or if you know of any sites that have ankle bracelet patters. I'm a big ankle bracelet wearer in the summertime and don't want to wear just one all summer long, but can't afford to spend $25 on each bracelet just so I can have a variety. I just bought this one at that price thinking I would be able to duplicate it.

Anyone, please???

Here's the smaller version of the image:

Thanks so much,

« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 07:38:19 PM by WalstonNet »


  • Exp. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 198
  • Member IGKT-PAB since 2000
    • Pacific Americas Branch of the IGKT
Re: What are these two knots called?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 08:19:29 PM »
Ashley in his Book of Knots, says, "A series of alternating LEFT and RIGHT HALF KNOTS forms a Solomon Bar." If you have his book, it is ABOK 2496. In the case of the knots pictured, the first five or so knots were [probably] tied loose and the ends tucked up in before tightening. And the same for the last five or so knots. Using the four strands of the anklet as the core.
Jimmy R Williams - IGKTPAB Secretary/Treasurer


  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 313
  • IGKT Pacific Americas Branch
Re: What are these two knots called?
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 08:22:27 PM »

The knot you are calling a "Slip Knot" in the diagram is indeed related to macreme square knotting.  In the larger version you have posted at Walstonnet, I can see where the ends have been melted to prevent it from coming undone.  It is a very easy knot to tie, but melting the ends without a black blob has to be done with a heat tool, like a soldering iron, or wood buning tool.

I am not sure what the "Rope Type" knot is.  I don't think it is a sennet, and it looks too thin to be coachwhipping.  It might be like a blood knot, which is basically an overhand knot that the working end has been passed through the loop several times.  What you have is much longer that a standard blood knot.  I'm sure there are others out there who can offer a better opinion.

If I can hold it in my hands, I can probably tell you more about how to tie it, do you live near Seattle, Washington, USA?


Andre van der Salm

  • Exp. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 132
  • I am knot crazy
    • Knots and Knot tying
Re: What are these two knots called?
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 09:00:41 PM »

What you call the rope type knot looks like the snake knot to me. I could be wrong. Take a look at
or to see how to make this knot.

hope this helps and that the knot is indeed the snake knot



  • New Member
  • *
  • Posts: 2
Re: What are these two knots called?
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 10:22:59 PM »
Wow, you guys have been amazingly helpful and I thank you! I think I will definitely try the snake knot for where it looks like a rope knot, and then do a macrome knot to put the strings through and try meling the ends of the macrome knot with a heat tool. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

If anyone has any additional suggestions, please keep this going, I would love to hear more. I will post a photo of my first bracelet here for all to see (whether it turns out, or not, LOL!)

Thanks again!!!


  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 432
  • knopen . ismijnhobby . nl
    • Willeke's knotted Ideas
Re: What are these two knots called?
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 04:10:26 PM »
In case you do not yet have instructions for the salomans bar, also called square knot or by many other names, here is a link to it:

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools,
nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen

Writer of A booklet on lanyards, available from IGKT supplies.


  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 11
  • Avid Facebook User!!!
Re: What are these two knots called?
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 05:01:35 PM »
Hi just to throw my penny in I know the flat one as a Portuguese flat sennit when they are alternating left and right overhand knots
Petty Officer (Seaman) RN
No Sea too Rough, No Knot too Tough!!!!

turks head 54

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 85
    • Banner Creek Blog
Re: What are these two knots called?
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 12:44:24 AM »
Willike is right it is a flat solomon sinnet. But even so the snake knot would be cool.