Author Topic: putting up a swing  (Read 20277 times)

deckhandiana

putting up a swing
« on: April 22, 2008, 03:33:17 PM »
I know there was debate  about the best way to put up a child's swing some time ago - and cannot find the link.  Can anyone help?  I have a two grandchildren, 3 and 1, who are both longing to swing and granny needs some instruction!  I am away from home and don't have my abok with me (big mistake - I should never go anywhere without it).
I look forward to advice...
 ???
Diana.

Dan_Lehman

Re: putting up a swing
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 08:58:13 PM »
"Granny needs instruction", but we need information, too!
--such as details about the circumstances for the swing,
which could be something as simple as a tire hung from
a high limb.

Search-ing this site with 'swing' garners this link, which itself links to outside
sources on rec.crafts.knots (dejanews):  http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=204.0.

Cheers,
--dl*
====

deckhandiana

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 10:07:56 PM »
Thanks, Dan, your links really helped, and I think I can go on, temporarily anyway.  One of the problems is that the only available branch is at an angle, not horizontal and I think that'll always mean a "skew-wiff" swing.  Luckily, the little ones are too young to mind, and I hope I can work something else out before they grow much older.  Miind you, with the twins that are due soon as well,  :o we're going to need more trees ...

all the best,

Diana.   

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 10:56:52 PM »
Hi Diana,

I tried to make a swing once for my kids and it was too 'skew-wiff', they quickly got sick of twisting out of control and could not get any momentum to 'swing'

So I tied the seat to a spar about 3ft above the seat(a piece of broomhandle) to keep the two side ropes apart, then brought the ropes together about 2ft above the broom handle, then I took the two ropes together up to the branch and tied them to the branch.

They could then swing in any direction, but at least the swing wasnt 'skew-wiff' anymore.

For the seat I used ABoK #200

Derek

deckhandiana

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 01:23:19 AM »
Hi,Derek, thanks for yours.  But if I tie the rope together above the broom handle (or whatever), won't it always be going round in circles?

Diana

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 01:13:04 PM »
Hi Diana,

If you just use one piece of rope from the branch to the 'broomhandle' then the weight of the child makes the rope want to untwist and makes the swing start to spin - nasty.

But if you use a length of braid, or as I did, put two lengths of rope side by side, then the only spin is when the children spin themselves.  Any small deviation from straight swinging tended to be skillfully ironed out by a deft kick of the foot as they went over the central point.

Kids can be skill full little creatures.

Derek

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 08:56:26 PM »
Hi,Derek, thanks for yours.  But if I tie the rope together above the broom handle (or whatever), won't it always be going round in circles?

Then there's the traditional hanging tire, usually suspended on a single rope, and it's
tendency will be to rotate a little, but then--in the spirit of software excuses--that could
be regarded as a feature !

What type of rope do you intend to use (or have selection of) ?

:)

deckhandiana

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 11:16:48 PM »
Dan - I'm not sure what's available - I'm in a different country, Connecticut, instead of at home in Hampshire, England.  My daughter and I are off to a rope-seller of sorts in the next couple of days.  I think I'll get a long enough braid to double it as Derek suggests.  The tyre arrives tomorrow, so hopefully they'll be set up by the time I go back on Monday. (Spent the day on the beach - hot and heavenly)

Thanks for all the advice, I think I'm ok now. :)

Diana.

Fairlead

• IGKT Member since 1984 - IGKT Librarian
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 09:43:56 AM »
Diana,
Hope you have been to my favourite haunt in the USA - Mystic, second is the Old Book Barn at Niantic!

Jealous as hell

Gordon

deckhandiana

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 03:08:24 PM »

Gordon,

I have been, yes, but a couple of years ago.  It's heaven, I agree.  We had a very happy day there, and I look forward to taking Nicky and her kids when they're a bit older.  It's such a joy to see all the old skills continuing, and glorious ships to look at and climb over.

Where's Niantic?

Diana

Fairlead

• IGKT Member since 1984 - IGKT Librarian
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 03:41:21 PM »
Hi Diana,
Niantic is about 15 miles west of Mystic - I95 J74 take the 161 south.
Hope you found some suitable rope for the swing.
I am working at the Beulieu boat jumble this Sunday selling and splicing rope
Enjoy the rest of your trip - as if you wouldn't!  See you at the next meeting I hope

Gordon

PatDucey

• IGKT Pacific Americas Branch
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 07:58:10 PM »
My friends and colleagues,

Also, please take into account the security of the tree.  I'm sure there is an arborist website, somewhere, that willl provide information on how to not "choke" the tree branch.  I have seen the damage to a tree from a wire wrapped around the trunk.  A tree is a living thing that will continue to grow.  If you tie a knot that will throttle the branch, it could kill the branch, and have you looking for a new place to hang your swing from.  Worst case, it will cause the branch to fail in a windstorm or some other high stress event, like when Dad goes for a swing.

Pat

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 08:22:45 PM »
I'm in a different country, Connecticut, instead of at home in Hampshire, England. ...  (Spent the day on the beach - hot and heavenly)
Different from ... ?  (It's up the coast from me a fair hike; I've only passed through it.)

On the beach, in the right spots, sometimes one can find ample supplies of rope
--flotsam (or not so) / jetsam !  Some discarded lobster pot warp could do.

(-;

deckhandiana

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 02:29:44 PM »
Dan: (On the beach, in the right spots, sometimes one can find ample supplies of rope
--flotsam (or not so) / jetsam !  Some discarded lobster pot warp could do.)

I don't think I could justify using flotsam/jetsam for my grandchildrens' swing rope.  You don't know where it's been ...

:-\

Diana.

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 09:47:41 PM »
I don't think I could justify using flotsam/jetsam for my grandchildrens' swing rope.  You don't know where it's been ...
 :-\
Diana.

It's been right out in the same water your g'kids are frolicking in (only longer).
(And, like them--though w/perhaps less resistance--, it's washable (even w/bleach,
in disinfectingly small amounts).)

:)