Author Topic: WOW - Wild Over Waterways events, UK  (Read 2214 times)

Mrs Glenys Chew

• Administrator
  • Exp. Member
WOW - Wild Over Waterways events, UK
« on: February 28, 2008, 11:36:05 PM »
Dear All

Dave Walker has just forwarded me the following information from Peter & Gillian Bolt, which many of the UK members may be interested in.  The events posted so far on the events page (http://www.igkt.net/events.php) are heavily concentrated in May, with other events running from June through to September, plus one in November:

WOW stands for Wild over Waterways and it is the children's activity programme that was jointly devised by IWA and BW.  The aim is to interest children in waterways history, conservation and crafts whilst also allowing them to have lots of fun at an Event. When they come on site the children can sign up for a Passport.  There may be a nominal charge for this - depending upon the size of the Event. Once they have their Passport, they also receive a map of the site showing where various WOW activities can be found.  These activities will usually include knot tying, brass rubbing, looking into the back cabin of a historic boat and identifying items in there, "fishing" rubbish items from a small tank (waterway) to encourage respect for the environment, designing a boat livery, helping to build a wooden boat and possibly many others depending upon the size of the Event.  Each time the children take part in an activity they get a dedicated sticker on a space on their Passport.  When the spaces are all filled, the children can return to the start point and claim a small prize - usually a WOW bendy pen.

The children then leave the Event with a bag full of WOW things that they may have painted, knotted, quizzes they have completed as well as their Passport.  This gives them a legacy of the activities and helps promote the IWA and the WOW programme generally.  There is also a very good WOW website (www.wow4water.net) which the BW staff have developed and which has many resources for schools which teachers can download.

No doubt, if I were to add a comment about the potential of child-friendliness, I would be teaching most of you to suck eggs   ;) but if there is anyone reading who can get along to a nearby event to help out those organising, the potential of reaching children (and their parents) would be greatly facilitated.  I speak from experience - it was Dave teaching my son a Solomon's Bar keyfob at a display that led to me being a member. :P  :) More hands to the pump means more personal attention/demonstration per interested family.

Event locations & dates (as listed on the events page today):

Little Venice, London - Saturday, 03 May 2008 - Monday, 05 May 2008
Beal Park, Pangbourne - Saturday, 03 May 2008 - Sunday, 04 May 2008
Rickmansworth - Friday, 16 May 2008 - Sunday, 18 May 2008
Grand Western Canal, Tiverton, Devon - Saturday, 24 May 2008 - Monday, 26 May 2008
Crick, Northamptonshire - Saturday, 24 May 2008 - Monday, 26 May 2008
Beal Park, Pangbourne - Friday, 06 June 2008 - Sunday, 08 June 2008
Middlewich, Cheshire - Friday, 13 June 2008 - Sunday, 15 June 2008
Braunston, Northamptonshire - Saturday, 28 June 2008 - Sunday, 29 June 2008
Saul Junction, Gloucestershire - Saturday, 05 July 2008 - Sunday, 06 July 2008
Wolverhampton - Saturday, 23 August 2008 - Monday, 25 August 2008
Welshpoole - Saturday, 30 August 2008 - Sunday, 31 August 2008
Maesbury - Friday, 05 September 2008 - Sunday, 07 September 2008
The Foss Exhibition Centre - Friday, 07 November 2008 - Sunday, 09 November 2008

The events which are highlighted are those where there is not yet a confirmed Guild presence (as posted on the events page).  I will be delighted to receive requests to update those as presence confirmed  :)  Contact details for the organisers are as posted.  I am aware that there may have been a change of email detail from an event posting, and I'm in the process of getting the new address confirmed - if you have trouble getting through to them, please either email myself or Dave Walker, and we'll get a message through to them somehow.  Or you could check the phone numbers in the directory - but a new directory is in the final draft.

Regards

Glenys

PS - That was an attempt at a tongue-in-cheek icon, not a rude-tongue icon.
Mrs Glenys Chew
1 Corinthians 15:10