Author Topic: The Gourock book of Knots & Splices by Cpt. J. Netherclift Jutsum.  (Read 7604 times)

PwH

Has anyone else seen this little gem of a book? It's a souvenir of the 1924 British Empire Exhibition at Wembley. I bought this about 25 yrs ago in a book dealers in Bridgewater and I love it, especially the authors name! If it's not common I can scan it for the IGKT library.

Cheers, PwH.
Is a Round Turn just a Grossly Overfed Seabird?

knudeNoggin

• Exp. Member
Re: The Gourock book of Knots & Splices by Cpt. J. Netherclift Jutsum.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 06:09:29 PM »
A quick check on the library listings for "J" indicates that the book isn't
among the collection, and would make a good addition, given your assessment.
What more can you tell us about it that distinguishes it?

:)

PwH

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 09:24:50 PM »
It's only small, a little smaller than A5 size and 86 pages. Yellow board covers, fabric spine, obviously a PR / advertising vehicle for the Gourock Ropeworks Co Ltd of Port Glasgow, sold or given away at the British Empire Exhibition in 1924, cover price Two shillings (remember them?).  Quite a lot of adverts for Gourock products (Rope,Canvas and tools) with some good technical tables on rope and chain breaking strains and weights, including comparisons of different natural fibre ropes, iron and steel wire, and cordage. Sections on: Rope Consruction; Knots etc on a ropes end; Knots etc on a bight; Knots, Bends etc for uniting ropes; Knots formed on ropes by their own strands; Splices; Wire splicing; Purchases (as in block and tackle etc); Whippings and various miscellania; Handling and splicing wire rope; Fully illustrated with many line drawings (mostly accurate) and some photographs (darkening with age). Almost a technical "Aide Memoire" for the Sailing Mariner.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 09:30:12 PM by PwH »

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 03:25:23 PM »
Knots, Bends etc for uniting ropes;

I'm curious as to what exactly it shows re BENDS:  i.p., does is have anything that
might be construed as a quite fouled version of a Double Sheet Bend (or Dble.
Becket hitch, for tying to a LOOP) ??!  Such a "Wot?knot" I call it occurs in both
Biddle's circa 1870 book and Hasluck's 1904 book, and I'm trying to track down
other occurrences, maybe find a seed of their confusion!

oldpete

• Trusted New Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 05:18:25 PM »
The book 'Knots, Splices & Fancy Work' by Chas L Spencer published in Glasgow uk 1934 and reprinted up until 1949 has in it's preface "The whole of Captain Jutsum's book, Knots and Splices has been incorporated in this volume (my copy is the 1949 reprint. I see this book regularly appear on e-bay in the UK, if that helps someone. It is a worthwhile buy in my opinion.

turks head 54

• Banner Creek Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 09:48:24 PM »
Wow, that sounds like a good book. Could you scan it
so we can see it on the forum.

TH54

oldpete

• Trusted New Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 10:15:36 PM »
I looked on ebay uk and the is a copy on offer cheap if you would like to get one. It is 206 so i can't see me sat scanning it all. when your old and ill you get lazy lol

Bob Thrun

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 04:18:16 AM »
What is the copyright status if these items in the United Kingdom and other European countries?  The US has ridiculously long copy right durations.  I am still confused about US copyrights and the reinstatement of foreign copy rights. .  I can't find info about UK copyrights.

Arthur C. Clarke just died at the age of 90.  His works will stay in copyright for another 70 years.  Why aren't Shakespeare's heirs trying to extend copyright to collect royalties?

PwH

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 11:52:49 PM »
The book 'Knots, Splices & Fancy Work' by Chas L Spencer published in Glasgow uk 1934 and reprinted up until 1949 has in it's preface "The whole of Captain Jutsum's book, Knots and Splices has been incorporated in this volume (my copy is the 1949 reprint. I see this book regularly appear on e-bay in the UK, if that helps someone. It is a worthwhile buy in my opinion.

Just took a look on Ebay and there's a copy of Spencers book on for under a tenner and a couple of Brown and sons version of Cpt. Jutsums work for a couple of quid plus postage- I'll probably buy one and send it in to the archive- easier than scanning it !
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 11:53:58 PM by PwH »

PwH

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 12:35:16 AM »
Knots, Bends etc for uniting ropes;

I'm curious as to what exactly it shows re BENDS:  i.p., does is have anything that
might be construed as a quite fouled version of a Double Sheet Bend (or Dble.
Becket hitch, for tying to a LOOP) ??!  Such a "Wot?knot" I call it occurs in both
Biddle's circa 1870 book and Hasluck's 1904 book, and I'm trying to track down
other occurrences, maybe find a seed of their confusion!

Dan, it does have a double sheet bend but it's a pretty good diagram, i've just got a 1912 copy in monochrome and its clearer than my first copy in bi colour. I wouldn't say it was a fouled diagram, but in common with just about every diagram I've seen the two ends come out on the same side. In my collection only Graumont shows both ways to tie the sheet bend, terming them left hand and right hand respectively, and Ashley of course discusses the merits of various bends on page 16 & 17 --- Actually I've just looked in my 1926 Admiralty Manual of Seamanship Vol 1 and the diagrams throughout Jutsum's seem to be identical with those in the Manual. It would be interesting to know which predates the other--

"That's all" (for now)

Regrds, Peter

PwH

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 10:37:12 PM »
Well after a while spent researching this (i.e. buying various books on Ebay) I now have a collection trebled in size and it seems the same plates were used time and again for various different publications by Browns Nautical Press.

As OldPete says above, the whole of Captain Jutsums work is incorporated in Chas L. Spencers 'Knots, Splices and Fancy Work. 'Plagiarism? or wise use of previous art? Can't imagine how that stacks up with copyright law, but they where both published by Browns nautical, so I guess they had it all sown up. Anyway there are two copies of this work listed in the Guilds library.

The Gourock version of Jutsum's book seems to attract a bit of a premium now so seeing as I've got 3 copies of Brown's version of different ages and condition I'll send one of the better ones in for posterity.

Happy knotting, PwH.

anything