Author Topic: Knots of different cultures.  (Read 12380 times)

twentythree

Knots of different cultures.
« on: April 23, 2005, 07:31:52 PM »
The vast majority of knot resources I have come across are American/European. Normally an outgrowth of sailing.

I know of a few Asian knotting resources. Chinese Knotting by Lydia Chen  is the primary resource I know of. There is also www.chineseknotting.org and www.chineseknots.com

I know of no major information on Scandinavian knots. From time to time I will see a reference to an Eskimo bowline but that is about all.

The only resources I have found on Native-American knots is all related to cats cradle and related string games.

Is there any information people could help me with on the topic of knots from an anthropological point of view?

LEONID

Re: Knots of different cultures.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 04:43:12 PM »

Brian Grimley

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 08:45:00 PM »
Twentythree,

Have you seen this site: http://www.pecosrio.com/HOME.HTM .

This museum gives an interesting presentation of artifacts, many, if not most of them, are from Texas, USA.

It is worth putting some time aside and browsing through this site. Here is a short cut to a menu of displays that should be of interest to knotters: http://www.pecosrio.com/displays/weaving/WEAVING.HTM .

Tip: When a photograph is displayed, click on it. A photograph often leads to another. That is, his organization of photographs is often sequential.

I hope you find this interesting.

Brian.

Brian Grimley

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 09:12:07 PM »
twentythree,

Some museums are allowing .pdf files of their library reports to be put online.

The report, "Hawiian Nets and Netting" by John Stokes (1906) from the Bishops Museum Press in Hawaii, is available in .pdf format from this site: http://www.ethnomath.org/search/browseResources.asp?type=subject&id=393 .

The report was fascinating to me and contained knot forms that I have not seen elsewhere.

Is this the sort of thing you are looking for?

Brian.

twentythree

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 04:25:14 PM »
twentythree,

Is this the sort of thing you are looking for?

Yes, exactly the thing.

The hawiian knots article had in it a lot of patterns I see from dong cats-cradel and related finger string manipulations. It matches very well with the kinds of knotting methods I have researched that native americans did.

The othe rlink, from the texas museum, showed a lot of coiling patterns. Especialy the net that was made just by elebowing strands together instead of using any actual knots. However, from my quick look around the website I wasent able to find WHERE these articles came from. I am assuming that the majority of them are african.

Any others?

Willeke

• knopen . ismijnhobby . nl
    • Willeke's knotted Ideas
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 08:48:48 PM »
twentythree wrote:

The othe rlink, from the texas museum, showed a lot of coiling patterns. Especialy the net that was made just by elebowing strands together instead of using any actual knots. However, from my quick look around the website I wasent able to find WHERE these articles came from. I am assuming that the majority of them are african.

But Brian Grimley already wrote:

Have you seen this site: http://www.pecosrio.com/HOME.HTM .

This museum gives an interesting presentation of artifacts, many, if not most of them, are from Texas, USA.

I guess you just missed this little bit of information. I know the site and find I often forget the time when browsing there. Most things I found on the site are local finds. (Local in a global perspective, so Central North America.) And in most cases in the text they tell where and often how they found it.

Willeke
"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools,
nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen

Writer of A booklet on lanyards, available from IGKT supplies.

twentythree

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 12:48:20 PM »
ok, so thats where the artifacts are from. I thought he was just saying where the museum was.