Author Topic: Double braid midline eye splice  (Read 3392 times)

RRSinness

Double braid midline eye splice
« on: October 06, 2018, 05:27:52 PM »
Good morning all, I haven't frequented this forum as much as I used to, but I have a question for you. I have an idea (which I'm "knot" sure is possible) for a midline eye splice in a double braided nylon rope. I'm about to try my hand at making a dog leash, in the Jaeger style. But I'd like to have a second loop for a closer handling position. Attached are two pictures of what I'm envisioning (with the stitching and clamps replaced with splicing). Thank you in advance for your help.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 10:34:02 PM by RRSinness »

SS369

• Global Moderator
Re: Double braid midline eye splice
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 05:52:58 PM »
Good day RRSinness.

I don't personally remember seeing a mid-line eye splice using braided rope. Seems it would be very difficult.
I, myself would opt for just adding a mid-line eye knot, such as a butterfly, inline 8, span loop, etc.
If the chosen eye knot is not aesthetic enough, cover it with a Turks head or some-such covering.
Could also do a whipped eye or loop.

If you happen to find a source for a braided rope mid-line eye splice, please share it.

SS

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 01:53:10 AM »
Could also do a whipped eye or loop.
That would be my choice : seizing an eye should be
amply adequate re strength, and I'd think as attractive
as a splice.

--dl*
====

RRSinness

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 02:06:48 AM »
SS369 and Dan_Lehman, thank you for your insights. I have an idea on a possible way to splice in a midline eye (just waiting for the rope to ship). If it doesn't work, I will let you know. If my idea does work, I'll post a process, and I'll definitely post finished results, either way.

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 01:49:07 PM »
Hi RRSinness,

Have you considered a 'through and through' splice?

Form the centre handle loop, you then have two cords, lets call them 'A' and 'B'.
At the point of the splice, use a fid to open up the brades of 'A' making a hole through the middle.  Then pass cord 'B' through the hole.
Now open up a hole through 'B' and pass cord 'A' through it.
When you draw these two joints together, they each enclose the other forming a strong and secure splice.

However, there are two issues.
1.  As you saw when drawing the two joints together, the splice is directional, and you want your splice to function from both directions - to resolve this, stitch the splice together.
and
2. The cord you show is substantial.  May I presume you have chosen it for hand comfort and looks?  If this is the case, then consider removing the core from the non handle loop areas.  This will make all your splices much easier and tidy.

Derek

anything