Author Topic: Looking for knot suggestions  (Read 1480 times)

brady3

Looking for knot suggestions
« on: February 26, 2019, 05:08:46 AM »
I am making a backpack and have taken to using cord and knots instead of webbing and buckles.  But I have had trouble finding a good knot for adjusting the shoulder straps.  On my previous backpacks I have used various friction hitches, but they tend to weld themselves in place from the weight of the bag (this is for climbing gear and totally about 50lbs).  I have been kind of stuck on the friction hitch idea, but I am open to other suggestions. 
So I need something that can be tightened (preferably under tension, something the friction hitches cannot do), and released relatively easily.  Preferably all of this being done with one hand (also a problem for the friction hitches) and without looking (much).  The bag is just for me, so I don't have to worry about having to train someone else how to use it.  It would also be nice if the knot/s were pleasing to look at, but I am more worried about functionality.  And I am mostly using 550 paracord.

Maybe I just have to give in and use webbing here, but part of the fun is the design challenge.

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
Re: Looking for knot suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 06:27:16 AM »
I am making a backpack and have taken to using cord and knots instead of webbing and buckles.  But I have had trouble finding a good knot for adjusting the shoulder straps.  On my previous backpacks I have used various friction hitches, but they tend to weld themselves in place from the weight of the bag (this is for climbing gear and totally about 50lbs).  I have been kind of stuck on the friction hitch idea, but I am open to other suggestions. 
So I need something that can be tightened (preferably under tension, something the friction hitches cannot do), and released relatively easily.  Preferably all of this being done with one hand (also a problem for the friction hitches) and without looking (much).  The bag is just for me, so I don't have to worry about having to train someone else how to use it.  It would also be nice if the knot/s were pleasing to look at, but I am more worried about functionality.  And I am mostly using 550 paracord.

Maybe I just have to give in and use webbing here, but part of the fun is the design challenge.

You could try a Versatackle:
https://notableknotindex.webs.com/Versatackle.html

You'd have to experiment to see how many passes best matches the friction characteristics of the line you have.

A little off topic; if you don't already have some decorative approach for shoulder straps , a Fattened version of a Sheepshank Pouch Knot may be be a good option (sort of a combination of the second and fourth knot on the Sheepshank & Variants page):

https://notableknotindex.webs.com/sheepshank.html

Then again, maybe you already have more standard shoulder straps.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 07:06:37 AM by roo »
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

brady3

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 01:27:14 PM »
I had thought about doing something with a truckers hitch, but I've sometimes have had trouble getting the half hitch in place without losing tension.  I have only recently learned about the versatackle from browsing around on here before posting.  The short bit that I have played around with the versatackle it seems that the earlier wraps through the loops tend to pinch the working end helping to hold it in tension, so that does seem to be a great option.

I hadn't thought about using a sheepshank for the shoulder straps.  For previous bags I had sewn a sleeve to fit over a piece of foam and put pairs of small loops sewn into the seams of sleeve and running the length of it.  Then I passed one strand through each loop and tied ABoK#808 between each row of loops.  The result was the cord going to the edge then meeting in the middle making a sort of argyle pattern down the length.  This kept the two strands from just going next to each other and creating pressure points.  It also made a convenient method securing the hose for bladder to the strap, just pass it under how ever many crown knots you wish to get it to the preferred length.  This bag won't be designed to take a bladder though.

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 12:45:20 AM »
I am making a backpack ... using cord and knots instead of webbing
...   I have used various friction hitches, but they tend to weld themselves in place from
>>>> the weight of the bag (this is for climbing gear and totally about 50lbs).
!!?  I regularly bemoan the discomfort I feel in my
shoulders with a normal, webbing+foam (but cheap)
supported-from-shoulders (i.e., no hip-holding)
backpack w/groceries which must not total more
than 20-30 pounds, and walking for only about a mile:
so, I'm surprised anyone would want to carry that
weight or about double it ... with cord bearing against
the body!

???

brady3

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 02:17:40 AM »
I have put foam under the cord where it is contacting my shoulder, and there is a padded hip-belt as well.  These have also had aluminum frames (I made a couple smaller ones that just have a foam rectangle as a frame).  This will be the first one that I have tried with a "peripheral wire" frame, and I am going to try to do the hip belt with cord (and padding) on this one (I still used webbing for that on the others).  The bigger bags have also been designed specifically to better distribute the weight of climbing gear as compared to carrying climbing gear in a pack for backpacking.

anything