Author Topic: YASQ - how to secure BCD hose to BCD itself  (Read 449 times)

Sbiriguda

YASQ - how to secure BCD hose to BCD itself
« on: July 30, 2018, 03:29:50 PM »
YASQ yet another scuba question  :D

On the BCD jacket some people attach an octopus hose holder like the one in the picture. On a jacket there are 3 hoses

1) main regulator hose
2) emergency regulator hose
3) pressure gauge hose

Especially for emergency regulator hose and pressure gauge hose you need something to keep them still, so that they don't touch cliffs or something while you dive
I don't like the feeling of the hose holders and also they are very expensive like 9 euros for a piece of plastica

I would like to find a loop knot and to use instead of normal line a bungee
Emergency hose and pressure gauge must not slip off the loop accidentally, but (especially emergency hose) they must also be easy to take out in case of need in a stress and emergency situation, that is it should be easy to take them just by giving a strong pull

Is there a kind of loop / knot you would suggest? I would try it in the pool training anyway before diving and give you a feedback
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 03:31:21 PM by Sbiriguda »

SS369

• Global Moderator
Re: YASQ - how to secure BCD hose to BCD itself
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 06:10:27 PM »
YASQ yet another scuba question  :D

On the BCD jacket some people attach an octopus hose holder like the one in the picture. On a jacket there are 3 hoses

1) main regulator hose
2) emergency regulator hose
3) pressure gauge hose

Especially for emergency regulator hose and pressure gauge hose you need something to keep them still, so that they don't touch cliffs or something while you dive
I don't like the feeling of the hose holders and also they are very expensive like 9 euros for a piece of plastica

I would like to find a loop knot and to use instead of normal line a bungee
Emergency hose and pressure gauge must not slip off the loop accidentally, but (especially emergency hose) they must also be easy to take out in case of need in a stress and emergency situation, that is it should be easy to take them just by giving a strong pull

Is there a kind of loop / knot you would suggest? I would try it in the pool training anyway before diving and give you a feedback

Good day Sbiriguda.

If you care to post a picture of your rig and how You would like to arrange to the affair, we could then entertain some possibilities.
How I would do it may be particular to my desires.

SS

Sbiriguda

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 09:03:24 AM »
The idea is the following. People use lanyards, retractors, hose holders like the one in the picture, etc. I didn't really like any of them
The best option until now was snorkel holder
https://www.amazon.it/Scuba-Choice-Snorkeling-Silicone-Snorkel/dp/B006VJLLIY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1533023737&sr=8-1&keywords=snorkel+keeper

What I need is a loop knot. One end must be secured to the BCD and impossible to untie. The other one would be a loop big enough to hold the hose, elastic (that's why I chose bungee), and better if slightly adjustable.
If the loop accidentally opens and the hose slips out of the loop nothing really happens, it starts dangling here and there, not a big deal if it happens in a dive. But of course it must not always be like that, as rule the loop should be tight enough to hold the hose and at the same time loose and adjustable enough so that in a danger situation a yank is enough to get the hose

Harold Kahl

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 04:00:53 PM »
Do you need it to come loose with a pull on the hose, or would it be acceptable to pull on the tail of the knot? If the latter, you could use something like a Highwayman's hitch, but I don't know of any knots that come loose when you pull on the object that is being restrained.

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 04:35:09 PM »
The idea is the following. People use lanyards, retractors, hose holders like the one in the picture, etc. I didn't really like any of them
The best option until now was snorkel holder
https://www.amazon.it/Scuba-Choice-Snorkeling-Silicone-Snorkel/dp/B006VJLLIY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1533023737&sr=8-1&keywords=snorkel+keeper

What I need is a loop knot. One end must be secured to the BCD and impossible to untie. The other one would be a loop big enough to hold the hose, elastic (that's why I chose bungee), and better if slightly adjustable.
If the loop accidentally opens and the hose slips out of the loop nothing really happens, it starts dangling here and there, not a big deal if it happens in a dive. But of course it must not always be like that, as rule the loop should be tight enough to hold the hose and at the same time loose and adjustable enough so that in a danger situation a yank is enough to get the hose
It may be easier to get a material with a predictable break-away force than to look for a knot with a predictable break-away force.  I've seen people use small-diameter leather round cord or even small-diameter o-rings for break-away lanyards.
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Harold Kahl

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 05:48:32 PM »
Here's another idea. The improperly tied Scaffold knot can get you killed if you need it to hold, but might be just what you need if you want it to fail under load.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mv2apjIa5Q

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 06:22:39 PM »
Here's another idea. The improperly tied Scaffold knot can get you killed if you need it to hold, but might be just what you need if you want it to fail under load.

But if the strangling part is too tight, or if the end of the line is mushroomed or has a melt nugget, the break-away force may be much greater than ideal conditions.
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Sbiriguda

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 08:42:50 PM »
Hello again sorry for the late answer
For this specific purpose I decided not to use a knot but a sort of lanyard similar to the elastic lock laces they use with running shoes in some sports like triathlon. Easy to adjust even with gloves, and anyway elastic enough to loose them in an emergency situation just by giving a yank to the regulator hose
https://ibb.co/hAf4D9