Author Topic: bigger fids  (Read 1789 times)

KnotMe

• The Chinese Knotting Homepage
bigger fids
« on: July 30, 2018, 05:30:53 AM »
What do y'all use for a fid for climbing rope (1/2" diameter line) sized projects? 

My really big knitting needles are plastic and won't stand up to the prying forces.
I've got a nostepinne but it's not long enough as a lever...

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
Re: bigger fids
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 02:15:58 PM »
I have 2 Hudson Point Phids (sic) by Brion Toss - the smaller one would be fine for half-inch rope.  These are not cheap but very well made and a delight to use - far superior to the usual steel hollow fid. To make your own fid you can use large diameter cane which is surprisingly strong and easy to cut to shape - I use cane for smaller diameter rope but if you can get hold of larger diameter at a good price then it's worth a try.

Sweeney

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 06:15:00 PM »
Large screwdriver with the tip modified to suit.

I have one where I left some of the flats, rounded the edges and pointed the tip enough. Not too pointy though.
Decorated the handle with knots as well.  ;)

SS

KnotMe

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 10:37:45 PM »
Large screwdriver with the tip modified to suit.
For the short term I was thinking screwdriver or chisel (or camping spike?  not that I have any camping equipment...   ;D

Decorated the handle with knots as well.  ;)
of course.   :)

terrybaldridge

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 01:41:49 PM »
I have used screwdrivers, shrimp deveiners, big landscape spikes, and lots of other things.  Probably an ice pick would be too light.  Most of the tent stakes I have been around might well be too bendy also.  Doesn't mean you will not find the ultimate one.

A 10 inch land scape spike with the point hammered down does a great job.  And you get to put some crown knots on it for a handle. 

You are limited only by your imagination.  Which is why I could only think of three things to list.  But I bet if I dug in my knot box, there would be lots of other things.

Good luck with it,
terry

KnotMe

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 07:13:11 AM »
Found a Samson aluminum fid (hollow tube with a knitting needle like point) for a reasonable price at the local West Marine (not on their website).  Does the trick although it's meant as a splicing tool so it's not as conical as I'd like if I do many more projects at this scale. 

KnotMe

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 01:08:20 AM »
This is what I needed the fid for (not that the ultimate goal was getting posted to R&W's site, that's just a side effect).  Unfortunately, they square-ified the picture and cut off a touch of the sides for some reason.  I?ll get around to posting a proper picture at some point, probably after I?ve refined it a bit more.  The line is thumb sized and the whole piece is 32x32x12cm.

anything