Author Topic: Adjustable knot to hang sandbag?  (Read 195 times)

gc

Adjustable knot to hang sandbag?
« on: August 03, 2017, 04:52:32 AM »
I'm new to knots (and to the forum). My repertoire is quite small, and often I find that my limitations are not only in being unaware of an available knot, but often in trying to figure out the right knot for the job.

At any rate, I have some sandbag weights for a canopy tent that I am trying to find the right knots for.

The sandbags have attachment loops, and I am hanging them from the canopy frame ( but easier to just envision them hanging from a nail), using rope. I need to adjust the knot as I need to have the bags sit just slightly above the ground.

I need to disassemble the rope and sandbag from the canopy for storage.

My current method is using a tautline hitch to connect one end of the rope to the other, and adjusting as needed. Seems to work fine, but wondering if there is a more ideal solution.

It just occurred to me as I write this that I could tie a bowline to one end, thread the other end through, then hoist up the bags and perhaps tie off at the loop?

I'll leave it to the experts!

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
Re: Adjustable knot to hang sandbag?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 07:05:41 AM »
The sandbags have attachment loops, and I am hanging them from the canopy frame ( but easier to just envision them hanging from a nail), using rope. I need to adjust the knot as I need to have the bags sit just slightly above the ground.
You could try a HFP Slippery 8 Loop:  http://notableknotindex.webs.com/slippery8.html

A tautline hitch might be OK as well.  And there are lots of ascender-type knots that can be adapted to make a loop. 
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Twine

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 04:55:30 PM »
I like the idea where you suggest using a bowline. Simple and easy. Also what you suggest would mean less friction  than a tautline or similar, so it would be easier to adjust.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo da Vinci

FustiKnots

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 06:15:40 AM »
I think a bowline on the top of the canopy and an adjustable grip hitch through the attachment loops would work perfectly. I've always had better results with the adjustable grip hitch over the taught line hitch. You could even put an AGH on both ends. The AGH also makes a great bend if you wanted a bowline on both tie off points.

gc

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 04:31:50 PM »
Sorry for the delayed reply, thought I had thread notifications turned on.

The adjustable grip hitch and slippery 8 are now on my to-learn list!

I still need to give a trucker's hitch approach a try as well. Thank you for the input, will report back once I've experimented with these suggestions.

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • The Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 12:17:29 PM »
Hi gc,

I have a Gazebo, and hang the sandbags on the square section legs using the KC Hitch.  It grips well and is fully ajustable up and down.

Derek