Author Topic: Help needed to identify - Studding Sail Bend variation.  (Read 151 times)

Celo_11

Help needed to identify - Studding Sail Bend variation.
« on: June 10, 2017, 06:31:07 PM »
Greetings all, new to the forum. Away to dip my toes in the water so to speak. Need your help to identify a variation of the Studding Sail Bend.

Been into knots for a long time, mostly self taught. Can do some pretty cool stuff but I'd call myself an intermediate and certainly no expert.

Anyway, recently I was thumbing through Ashley's "bible" to refresh my memory and try out some useful ones that I'd not done before. Came across the Studding Sail Bend and after tying it a few times I didn't like that it looked a bit messy and almost unfinished. Messed about with it a bit and ended up with a variation that I think looks much neater and is perhaps also stronger?

Basically instead of making the last tuck in the direction of the knot, work it back and under itself as well to create a double nipped or well crushed half hitch. Pardon me if my terminology is off but you can see what I'm on about in the attached photo. With the half hitch being so compact its easier to hide the "guts" of the knot behind spar or pole, giving a nice neat appearance on the front side. Also looks good on top of the spar or even on display at the front.

With humans tying knots in ropes for a very long time I doubt if nobody has ever made this knot but I cannot find it anywhere and I'm stumped. Has anyone seen this variation? I'd be curious to know the name of it.

Any info on this knot would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 07:55:10 PM by Celo_11 »

Celo_11

Re: Help needed to identify - Studding Sail Bend variation.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 10:48:58 PM »
Been thinking some more about this knot and can only surmise that it didn't find favour with sailors back in the day as it is slower and more cumbersome to tie. They would have used the studding sail bend as a working knot and for that it is superb. It can be hidden behind the spar if need be but that probably wasn't a concern back in the heyday of sail. Speed of tying and knot security would have been their prime concerns.

I'm 100% sure though that someone back in the mists of time will have done what I did - before making the last tuck think "that would work nicely back the way". Perhaps it just never got named or described simply as it just wasn't quite as practical as the original and didn't find favour with sailors?

I quite like it mind you so was thinking, what should it be called, to be technically correct in describing it? Half hitched studding sail bend? Hitched studding sail bend? Reverse tuck studding sail bend? I'm not sure what the convention is here. Suggestions?

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
Re: Help needed to identify - Studding Sail Bend variation.
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 03:08:12 PM »
I have a book (Knots, splices and Fancy Work by C L Spencer) which refers to a Topsail Halyard Bend - same as Ashley's #26 about which it says "This bend is never seen on deep water ships but is sometimes used on board yachts" and then a Stunsail Halyard Bend which corresponds to Ashley #24 though the end is taken back around the standing part  then over one under one not under two wraps and no half hitch has been added. This is followed by a variation which is also known as a Groundline Hitch (which is common). I imagine the Groundline Hitch - being less fiddly to tie - came to be favoured.

Sweeney