Author Topic: Learning without images?  (Read 478 times)

ElNYC

Learning without images?
« on: January 09, 2017, 03:30:50 AM »
Hi all,
I?m a knotting novice, but really want to learn all the classic knots so that I can experiement and pick up practical skills, as well.
I have a couple of books that I?ve been trying to use, but so far they seem to rely too heavily on images. As a blind person, directing me to learn from an image of a knot is not helpful.
Does anyone have suggestions of really good resources with detailed descriptions of step-by-step knot formation?
Would anyone be interested in serving as an occasional reference for me as I learn? Thanks!

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
Re: Learning without images?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 06:25:13 AM »
If you are totally blind, I would imagine you might have to rely on touch recognition of the various knotting steps and perhaps a friend to assist with some of the more difficult techniques and tricks.  Someone may have to make a special knot board for the ones you wish to learn.  Some knots are simple enough that the final product in large rope may be enough for instruction.

Text alone would be very easy to misinterpret. 

If you have some limited sight, you may be able to enlarge various drawing-based knot web pages to see what you need assuming the drawings use bold enough lines.

As an example, are you able to make out the drawing if you increase the magnification of the page linked below?:

http://notableknotindex.webs.com/gnathitch.html
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 06:42:03 AM by roo »
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
Re: Learning without images?
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 12:22:16 PM »
I have some experience of teaching knots to visually impaired people - including those totally blind - and would be happy to help if I can. Ideally you do need someone to help you to get the feel of a knot as it's tied and you may find that simple jigs made from a board and pegs also help.

Barry