Author Topic: Knot to be able to use a lock  (Read 6795 times)

iar

Knot to be able to use a lock
« on: April 29, 2016, 01:51:21 AM »
Hi,

I have a backpack that doesnt have zippers. Im attaching the way it closes. I wanted to know if theres a way to lock that using a knot and a lock.

Thanks.

Thanks.

SS369

• Global Moderator
Re: Knot to be able to use a lock
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 12:35:35 AM »
Hello iar and welcome.

I will be happy to weigh in on your request, but I personally need more information to use. Perhaps an image could be supplied from you or the web with words accompanying as well.

SS

Virisenox_

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 04:43:30 AM »
Criticism
What's keeping this thief from cutting your rope, or the fabric of your backpack, for that matter?

Potential Solution
That being said, if a knot and a padlock was your only option, I would tie two alpine butterfly knots (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_loop), one on each cord, and put your lock through the loops. Because of the structure of the knot, it could not be untied without removing your padlock. The drawstring bag would only be able to open a little bit if the knots were tied near the opening. Not enough for the thief to steal your laptop or whatever.

Drawbacks of Solution
- The cord can be cut
- The thief could potentially work slack through the knots and move them to the bottom of the cord, allowing them to open your bag
- They would have to be untied and re-tied every time you opened/closed your bag.

James Petersen

• Exp. Member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 09:17:53 AM »
As Virisenox said, a thief could always cut the cord or cut open the fabric of the pack. An interesting product on kickstarter addresses these issues: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/967296713/the-theft-proof-drawstring-backpack

Marc St-Antoine

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 02:15:28 PM »
Hi, I know I'm kinda late, but...

An other option would simply be to close the bag with the plastic thingny and to twist the bitter end around the ''U'' of the lock, leaving just enough cord to clip through the ''u'' then locking it. It's the easiest, simplest option I could think of...

Marc

anything