Author Topic: what is this knot  (Read 4830 times)

Ed

what is this knot
« on: June 17, 2015, 05:45:38 AM »
I tied this by accident the other day.(see pic)
what is it called?

https://www.facebook.com/knottsforyou
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 05:52:19 AM by Ed »

PatDucey

• IGKT Pacific Americas Branch
Re: what is this knot
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 08:03:41 PM »
That knot is called a Thump Mat.  On sailing vessels, there are various metal eyes (ring bolts) attached to the deck.  These eyes are connected to a block (pulley) which may occassioanally be slack, and the block would "thump" on the deck.  In order to keep the deck and the block from getting damaged, this knot was placed around the eye to protect the equipment.  It's kind of like chafing gear for a flat surface.

If you have a knot like this on a wooden deck, always be sure to lift the knot after washing the deck so it can dry underneath, and keep the deck from getting rot.

Pat

Ed

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 08:59:30 PM »
Hi there Pat. So is this a Carrick bend or a Celtic knot?
I was tying some mats, thot I was tying a 3L 5B Turks head when I noticed something was different. Then I thot it resembled the 4B Carrick bend mats I tie only this had 5Bs 
Nice looking knot. And I'll be tying more for sure.
Thanks for the reply :)
-Ed.

knotsaver

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 11:18:38 PM »
I don't know if you tie this knot starting with a clove hitch, don't you? please,  try! ;) (a similar method is used in ABOK #1310 for a 4Lx3B turk's head).
For a thump mat with 6B, look at ABOK #2360 (or Garrett Smith's "Marlinspike sailor").
bye,
s.

Ed

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 01:00:04 AM »
Hi knotsaver
I couldn't tell ya how it started this mat. Usually I start my TH mats around my hand and then flattening them and doubling or tripling them.  This one I did by trying to start with a flat knot.
I know its not a TH due to the unusual way it twists and turns.  Im just wondering what it's technically called, a carrick bend?  The term Thump Mat is new to me.  Is thump mat just a generic term for a mat when used as described by Pat in his reply above? I know there are mats called Ocean Pait mats, carrick bend mats, celtic knot mats, masthead knot mats etc. But whats this 5B version I stumbled across?
I even watched all 16 of JDs videos on Celtic and Nordic knots and didn't spot this unusual 5B one I tied. Nor has it come up in a search.  Only 4B, 6B etc come up..have yet to see this 5B one
Thanks for your help.

Ed

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 03:28:33 AM »
yes, it would appear I started this knot with a clove hitch

PatDucey

• IGKT Pacific Americas Branch
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 05:33:49 AM »
Hi Ed,

When I first looked at your creation, I thought is was ABOK 2360, a standard Thump Mat knot.  However, as knotsaver pointed out, it isn't ABOK 2360.  It's closer to ABOK 1064, but there is one crossing that is different.  It is also similar to ABOK 823, 1178, and 2257 at the start, but the finish is different.

I don't know if the knot you have is in The Ashley Book of Knots.  It isn't a Turks Head, because it isn't symmetrical around the center, and it's not a bend because a bend joins two line together.

Pat

Ed

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 05:49:40 AM »
Hi Pat
Ya, interesting isn't it. The center is a triangle on this one. Makes a nice mat but I haven't had any luck finding one like it in any of my books or online either. Even animated knots dot com failed to show this knot the way I tied it  but I did reverse engineer it and it does start with a clove hitch.
So the mystery continues :-/

-Ed.
www.facebook.com/knottsforyou

knotsaver

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 06:51:07 AM »
Hi Ed and Pat,
with 8 (alternating) crossings, it is in the Rolfsen knot table ( http://katlas.org/wiki/The_Rolfsen_Knot_Table ) and it is called "8_16" ( http://katlas.org/wiki/8_16 ), but this name isn't as nice as the mat ;)
ciao,
s.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 08:18:33 AM by knotsaver »

Ed

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 07:48:11 AM »
Hi knotsaver.
Yes! 8_16 it is! OR,  the Rolfsen Knot? :)
Thank you sir.