Author Topic: Need assistance with these Eye knots (History)  (Read 46931 times)

agent_smith

Re: Need assistance with these Eye knots (History)
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2015, 11:58:00 PM »
Thank you Obi Wan Luca  :)

Thats the type of response I was looking for.

I'll be in touch soon...

Mark

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2015, 08:15:13 AM »
I am gathering momentum to undertake another round of work on my Bowlines paper.
Still waiting to gather momentum for any more sewing
colored threads into test ropes?   ;D

knot terminology (which in my personal view is a problematic area)
Which is so in any sane view ... !! >:(

based on the SmitHunter Rosendahl/Zeppelin structures).
Re the former, I'll press for *my* (I think that Asher
dismissed it as insignificant, so boo on him!) version
in which the tails *embrace* on their exit(s) --it should
be demonstrably easier to untie.

And re the latter, I now accept the hearsay that Rosendahl
disavowed knowledge of the so-named knot, and am thus
happy to not link him to it.

1. I deliberately used the term 'connective eye knot' because the obvious intention of an eye knot is to form a connection to something (eg to a rock climbers harness or to a carabiner).
Then (to follow on Tex's implication in which I concur)
it's obviously redundant/superfluous ("connective", i.e.)!
(Perhaps one can bring up the sort-of eyeknots comprised
in an etrier as "aconnective"?! )
(And those that fail ... "disconnective"!   ;D  )

3. The first 2 photos are shown with incorrect tying - the tail should have passed between the Spart and the bight component before exiting out of the nipping turn. I'll upload correct images later today...
Is that done then, and this note confusing?
(I'm confused, anyway.)

Also, I 'SPart' or sometimes 'S.Part' --both typings
re case are to signal the initials of the contracted
source term, "Standing Part"; I find "Spart" too
distant for my consumption.

--dl*
====
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 06:48:03 PM by Dan_Lehman »

Tex

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2015, 01:45:47 PM »
Well, DL, it was an honest question not meant to imply anything, and yet it does seem that it correctly implied that I didn't understand what meaning the word was meant to add.  I guessed it could be some insider lingo. So yes, redundant words do add confusion sometimes.

agent_smith

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2015, 02:01:15 PM »
I now accept the hearsay that Rosendahl
disavowed knowledge of the so-named knot, and am thus
happy to not link him to it.

Dan Lehman quote

On what basis do you now accept that the 1980 Lee and Bob Paine article was hearsay (re Joe Collins story)? And if so, why persist with the name 'Zeppelin'. Could it be perhaps that Charles Rosendahl is associated with the 'Zeppelin' end-to-end joining knot simply because he was the officer in charge - and by default - he is responsible?

Alan Lee / Xarax inspired creation re-uploaded with side-by-side comparison to 'Zeppelin' eye knot.

Dan can you also supply a clear photo of this description...its late at night and I have just finished a beer - and this is all Greek to me.

I've got a photo (which I'll get around to later) of sketches of a set
of "zeppelin loop knots" including the one just recalled. But, here's
a tying method which should get you the knot verbally:

- begin tying the Z loop as you would normally do (I'm presuming
that you begin by tying an Overhand in the mainline and then
bring the tail back into this --after sizing the eye-- as though
it were a 2nd end joining the first),

- but at the point of just finishing/forming the Overhand
component in the mainline, do so with a bight (which in direct
words is "tie a Slip-knot"), and see yourself at this very point

- as tying the finishing/end's Overhand component <u>in reverse</u>
(and so you'll be pulling the Slip-knot's bight around and out and
it becomes the eye; you are left with but <u>one</u> tail, that of the
Slip-knot).

And in this way you have exactly the Zeppelin mechanics
-- that "69" / "bq"/"pd" orientation of opposing feeds into the
rope, the interlocked Overhands. Except that one side has twin
lines with half-force to the single mainline --a bit of imbalance
geometrically. And this knot is NOT so hard to tie; one just
needs some practised familiarization. (Maybe it becomes one
item for use of that 9mm rope you had left to test with?)

Also found this article on 'Hunters Bend' in KM #25   Go here to download it: http://www.grumpyogre.com/dumpextras/othermags/IGKT/KM25.pdf
Dan gets a plug in it. Go to page 9 for content on 'Shunting' (dont know why Phil D Smith Riggers bend moniker was ignored...perhaps unknown to them at that time?).

This post brought to you by your friendly neighborhood agent_smith :)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 03:57:53 PM by agent_smith »

xarax

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2015, 03:07:15 PM »
   There are FOUR different variations of Alan Lee s eyeknot(s), which belong to two distinct classes : the A1, A2, and the B, C (1)(2). Which one would be more easily untiable after heavy loading, I do not know - because that is the main problem with all those overhand knot--based Zeppelin-looking, but ( as I have tried to explain time and again, perhaps in vein...) NOT Zeppelin-like knots ! Also, this "heavy loading" should be defined, somehow... Would it be, say, 25%, 33,3 %, or 50 % of the MBS of the line ? Or of the knot itself ?
   1. http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=3908.msg27595#msg27595
   2. http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=3908.msg27596#msg27596
This is not a knot.

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2015, 06:06:35 PM »
Is roo the creator/discoverer of the Zeppelin/Rosendahl Eye knot?
No.  The Zeppelin Bend tied as a loop has been on the radar of knot tyers for many years before I put it on the web.  I only tried to present a way of making it accessible to the average knot tyer since the loop had so many positive practical properties.
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2015, 07:30:43 PM »

On what basis do you now accept that the 1980 Lee and Bob Paine article was hearsay
(re Joe Collins story)?  And if so, why persist with the name 'Zeppelin'.
Could it be perhaps that Charles Rosendahl is associated with the 'Zeppelin' end-to-end
joining knot simply because he was the officer in charge - and by default - he is responsible?
This is somewhere among these forum pages;
it resulted from Knotting Matters articles by a student
of airships who found a re-print of the above-cited
article (wasn't it ca. 1976?) in a mid-USA airships
newsletter with notes reporting that Lee Payne
had told of Rosendahl's writing --in response to the
original article-- to correct the location of his training
school/base (in Lakewood NJ? was it, not somewhere
to the south (Norfolk Va?)--, and offering also words
that he was unaware of the subject knot. (!!)

Why call it "z." :: yes, your point is good but as that
name has stuck, it --for the time being-- serves to
denote what is wanted, and instruction re history
can follow at some other time.

The "hearsay" IMO is ... :
a) Pub'd article by Paynes [fact]
b) content of (a) [subject to question : IIRC, it was
seemingly not their direct dealing with the reputed
old Navy guy (whom Roo did some research for and found
at least some indication of verification, for the name),
but just brother Bob's recounting of encountering the guy
aboard some vessel they shared time upon.  So, it could be
that either Bob or the guy simply had a novelty for which
they wanted to build a *legend* for enhanced presentation!?

(And, otherwise, as the KM-writing airship student came to
wonder --and which I'm abashed to not have questioned
more, myself--, how does an end-2-end knot come into
play (regularly and importantly, esp. such as to make some
particular knot a stand-out) during well-expected airship mooring?!)

The newwletter editor sought permissions for his re-publishing
and so learned from brother Lee this most intriguing "hearsay",
and included it as a footnote.  (I will accept as "fact" that there
was this newsletter and ... that the KM author is honest and
accurate in reporting.  And, after all, it's not as though we otherwise
have a groundswell of echoes of endorsement of the original account
from other sailors; nor do we have any official/USNavy documentation
to this effect (IMO, I'd think that were such a knot so commendable
there'd be an instruction sheet for it, issued to pertinent servicemen
for their edification.)

...  But, here's a tying method which should get you the knot verbally:
Dan can you also supply a clear photo of this description...
it's late at night and I have just finished a beer - and this is all Greek to me.
I'd prefer that you follow the words, for now.  You can
await diminution of beer effects (or switch to some good
Assam or Keemun tea!).  I still sense more of laziness in
this than true difficulty (in general, of many folks, i.e.).
(I'm much resistant to trying to conform to cell-phone,
sound-bite language-ing!!  <grrrrRRRRR>  >:(   )

Think of the reward at the end of following the words
--a "new" knot!!   ::)

(But I do have now 2 working cameras, since Sept's
demise of a prior one.)

Also found this article on 'Hunters Bend' in KM #25   Go here to download it: http://www.grumpyogre.com/dumpextras/othermags/IGKT/KM25.pdf
Dan gets a plug in it. Go to page 9 for content on 'Shunting' (dont know why
Phil D Smith Riggers bend moniker was ignored...perhaps unknown to them at that time?).
I can tell why I reject Phil's name : it's bogus,
in implication (otherwise, all of those riggers, and the
rest of us courtesy their knowledge, would have known
about the knot!  (Eh, I know some commercial-fishing
knots not yet found by me in popular literature, though.)
Which of course echoes your point re "zeppelin", to be sure.
(Whereas "Ashley's (#1452) bend" is a simple, occurrence-citing
name; factual but hardly illuminating.)

Re the version of SmitHunter's (<--yeah, my playing of
word-fusion of matching ending/starting letters ("h"),
to credit two of 3 known "inventor's"/"discoverers" (I'm 3rd
in chronology to them, and who knows who else ...?) ),
from Smith's topmost diagram of the knot, get the improved
version (better resisting jamming, if not also stronger)
by taking one (either) tail OVER the other en route to its
tucking through the central nipping zone and then finally
out UNDER (giving reciprocal "over" to opp. tail).
What this does is stuff tail material into the collaring bight
which prevents that from so tightly gripping the S.Part
and jamming --by significant degree, at least.

--dl*
====

agent_smith

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2015, 03:46:03 PM »
Dan, I was also thinking why would you anchor a Zeppelin airship to the ground using a so-called 'Zeppelin' bend. My point is; - that large ships moored to a wharf normally use ropes with a fixed eye (spliced) or an eye knot - so it can be quickly and easily attached to a bollard on the wharf. I was working on a wharf yesterday - and there a number of large containers ships in port. All the mooring lines had eye splices - and the eye was simply looped straight over the bollard. No end-to-end joining knots anywhere in sight (and I had a good look around).

I have never seen two ropes joined together to create long mooring lines - they're normally one continuous line.  All of this points to the Joe Collins story about Charles Rosendahl being inaccurate or misunderstood. Maybe it was a 'Zeppelin eye knot' - not an end-to-end joining knot?
And Phil D Smith's 'Riggers Bend' is an peculiar name - it does indeed imply a connection to the rigging industry. Also, Phil D Smith's book was published before the IGKT update was made to Ashley's Book of knots and before Dr Hunter announced it to the world. Something is going on and it doesn't add up... Again, why use a 'Bend' to anchor an airship to the ground....hmmm.

I have uploaded 4 more Bowline type structures based on Dan Lehman's End Bound Double Bowline (EBDB). I think these might have been Xarax's creation some time ago (need confirmation please). Note the chirality change in the double nipping turns - which affects the security/stability of the knot (although once drawn up and dressed, it appears to stable).
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 11:44:08 PM by agent_smith »

xarax

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2015, 04:49:10 PM »
   Regarding the "change of chirality" of the double nipping loop, I would had described it differently : The "chirality" itself does nt matter - what is important is the overall geometry : the double=two turn nipping loop can be, 1., a "classic" double nipping loop="twisted helical coil", 2., a two-turn helical coil, 3., a Clove hitch, or 4., a "reversed" Clove hitch. Those four possibilities affect the nipping / gripping power of the nipping structure directly, and, in the case of the Clove hitch-based nipping structure ( especially when it is "reversed" ), the eyeknot may become difficult to untie - as you had noticed in the first edition of the " Analysis".
   Regarding the "collar structure" = the Standing Part after the eye, those bowlines are what I had described as Link bowlines (1). Therefore, I would had classified those bowlines by, a., the form of the "nipping structure" = Standing Part before the eye ( classic nipping loop="twisted helical coil", helical coil, Clove hitch, reversed or not ), and, b., by the form of the "collar structure" = Standing Part after the eye ( "Linked" within the nipping loop(s) before the higher collar, or "Linked" within the nipping loop(s) after the higher collar ).
   Read the thread about the Link bowlines : again, because you had read it already two years ago.. :)  You can also find references there to a couple of "Link bowlines" bowlines tied by Alan Lee. Labels do not matter : "End-bound" and "Mid-bound" would also be fine, if by "bound" we mean the interlinking of the continuation of the returning eye-leg = Standing Part after the eye to the nipping loop(s), and by "End" and "Mid" we mean a link after the higher collar, or before the higher collar.

1.  http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=4314.0
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 04:51:53 PM by xarax »
This is not a knot.

knot rigger

• Exp. Member
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2015, 02:15:23 AM »
Agent_Smith

First of all, could you provide a link to a current version of your bowline paper.

I just looked through your 2013 draft that I Googled... I see you have the "Janus bowline" included.  I just came across Heinze Prohaska's article in Nylon Highway vol 26 from 1998.  I've attached a pic of his "double bight bowline" (aka Janus bowline) (I recently bought the back issues that are still in print, the ones you can't get off their website)

I can scan and send you the article if you like.

I also saw a reference to the origin of the "Yosemite" bowline, and I'll do a little more research, and let you know.

I'm interested in helping you with your research in whatever way I can.  In the interest of trying not to go over ground you've already covered, what are the specific points, or questions, that you are looking for more information on?

knot rigger

• Exp. Member
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2015, 05:46:04 AM »
on the topic of the Yosemite bowline

Bruce Smith, in Nylon Highway no 22 cites Tim Setnicka's 1980 book Wilderness Search and Rescue as a source for the "yosemite tie-off"  He asserts that Setnicka learned this bowline finish in his "ranger classes" at Yosemite National Park.

Setnicka's book does show the Yosemite bowline (aka Yosemite tie-off, Yosemite finish, etc.) However, he doesn't actually use the name "yosemite bowline"  He simply describes the method without naming it.  He also doesn't say where he learned it, or with whom the method originated (at least not in the section of the book about knots, I haven't read every word of the whole thing yet)  He writes "Feeding the free end back through the eye of the [bowline] knot works well as a safety".  While this line can be confusing standing alone... the accompanying illustrations clearly shows the technique.  I question his use of the work "eye" in particular... more accurately I would describe it as feeding the tail up through the collar.

I've attached the illustration from his book.  It actually shows a double (turn) bowline with a yosemite finish, but it demonstrates the technique. As far as I (yet) know, this 1980 book is the earliest written depiction of this adaptation of the bowline.

Neither Setnicka, nor Smith mention the perils of tying and setting the Yosimite bowline incorrectly (as is described well by Mark Gommers in his An Analysis of Bowlines Paper, as well as Heinze Prohaska in Nylon Highway no 26)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 05:50:10 AM by knot rigger »

agent_smith

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2015, 08:23:51 AM »
Nice info there knot rigger - thats the type of information I am seeking.

I've sent you an invitation to be a contributor to the next update of the Bowlines paper.

There's a lot of work to do to bring the paper up to current state-of-the-art thinking. There's going to a big update just to knotting terminology with clear photos precisely depicting each of the terms. There will also be a rationale for showing the 'front/detailed' view of the Bowline Vs the 'rear/back' side - my intention at this stage is to cite the many photos of a sheet bend (note the universal depiction / orientation of sheet bends on a google search - and books - they're all from what I refer to as the 'front/detailed' view). This topic alone caused a stir a while back.

There will be clarity on what defines a Bowline - with clear photos illustrating the concepts. I do support the notion that at the heart of every Bowline is the 'nipping turn' - the absence of which places the structure into a different class. 'Nipping turn' is just one of the many knotting terms thats going to come under the microscope...

There will also be new Bowline structures added.

And yes, due credit will be given to the known discoverer with dates. I note some objection to this - but I am holding firm of giving acknowledgement where it is known. Sort of like the process on this very forum where a person can send an alleged new knot to the IGKT for discussion and feedback (eg the Mr Dahm's 'Gleipner' and many others who have submitted knots). I note with some mild amusement that there are some on this forum who are very quick to lay claims to knots - and this is understandable because we humans like to receive recognition (look up Nobel prize - and why its awarded). And, I have yet to see a statue of a committee - but I do see lots of statues of individuals... As for the so-called 'Tweedle Dee Bowline' - that one has an unknown history and it will be indicated as such in the Bowlines paper :)

So all of these matters will be taken into consideration in the next Bowlines paper.

In tracking down info on the so-called Zeppelin eye knot, I am being frustrated by a raft of deleted posts and images. My plans to include details of other eye knot structures will be frustrated... the URL is; http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=1872.60 and I noted a post at reply #71 which alludes to something Xarax posted which no longer exists.
Xarax, that first pic in Reply #88 is freakin' sweet!  Why didn't I think of that before?  I have no comment about the performance though.

It's been said that the Honda Loop provides the most perfect circle.  Correction, I think we have a knew winner.

Then there is also Dan Lehman's posturing against 'knot4u' at reply #72 and there is also reply #63 which sports one of Dan Lehman's line intricate drawings which at times are difficult to follow (I hope that one day Dan will learn how to use a camera  ;D  ). Hmmmmmm.

Mark
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 09:05:34 AM by agent_smith »

xarax

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2015, 11:05:18 AM »
...alludes to something Xarax posted which no longer exists.

It does, but in my mind only... :) It was just a "reversed" Zeppelin bend turned into a loop the "other" way : The Standing End of the eyeknot was the Tail End of the one link, and the Tail End of the eyeknot was the Tail End of the other link.
   As the Standing and the Tail Ends of the Zeppelin bend are perpendicular, when this eyeknot is ring loaded, we get this image of a Honda-like loop...
   ( Using the Zeppelin X bend, where the Tail Ends are X-ed = crossed = twisted around each other, we get a less pretty but more stable knot. We can also use the Hunter s and the reversed Hunter s bend - but ALL overhand-knot based loops, the so-called "Zeppelin loop" included, will be difficult to untie after heavy loading. )
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 11:50:40 AM by xarax »
This is not a knot.

xarax

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2015, 01:26:58 PM »
   I do support the notion that at the heart of every Bowline is the 'nipping turn' - the absence of which places the structure into a different class.
   Unfortunately, this "simple" definition is not simple enough...
   Is an "open" turn, without any crossing point ( where the leg of the turn which enters into it, meets the leg which exits from it ), a "nipping turn" ? More than one such "niping turns", the one after the other around a common axis, form a helical coil. Is a helical coil of, say, two turns, a kind of a "double nipping turn", like the classic double nipping turn of the Double bowline, only without a crossing point ?
   Is a smaller nipping turn, "inside" another nipping turn, of a larger radius, a "double nipping turn" ? See the φ-shaped " double nipping turns ? ? ? " used by Alan Lee, in the eyeknot shown in Reply#6 ( http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=5357.msg35652#msg35652 ). Is this eyeyknot a "bowline", or not ?
   To my view, any knot, topologically equivalent to the unknot, which is tied on the Standing Part before the eye, can serve as a "nipping structure" : in fact, such a structure is not but two or more single "nipping turns" joined together in another, different from the "classic", way.
   Also, an important ( indispensable ? ? ) part of a bowline is the collar around a tensioned limb of the nub. ( This limb may be  the Standing End, as in the common bowline, the on-going eyeleg, as in the "Eskimo" bowlines, or the returning eyeleg, as in many "Janus" bowlines ).  This U-shaped half-turn not only helps the "nipping turn" remain "closed", and not degenerate into an open helix, but also alleviates the burden it has to carry, by relieving the tension on the second leg of the collar, which is the leg that should be immobilized.
   A more precise definition of the "nipping turn", and an acknowledgment of the important / indispensable role of the collar, would help us narrow or widen the class of the eyeknots we call "bowlines" as much as it would be more convenient for us. A too narrow definition, will leave us with the ABoK#1010 only, a too wide will include all the PET loops ...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 01:30:43 PM by xarax »
This is not a knot.

knot rigger

• Exp. Member
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2015, 07:52:38 PM »
Here are a few more Bowline "lock" variations

Brion Toss describes a simple bowline lock in his Knots for Boaters (1990) as well as his The Complete Rigger's Apprentice (1998).  I'm guessing that this method is also in his 1984 book the Rigger's Apprentice  but I don't have a copy.  He asserts it's usefulness for modern "slick" lines, where a standard #1010 bowline might slip.

Duane Raleigh shows another lock technique, similar to a Yosemite finish, in his Knots & Ropes for Climbers (1998).  He says that his friend Jack Mileski showed him this method, and calls it "Jack's variation".  He illustrates the tuck with a double bowline (ABOK # 1013) and I think it works well with #1013.  I just tried it with #1010, and it doesn't look to be as secure to me, as it seems to distort the nipping turn, and open up the nub of the knot.  But that's just a first impression.

[Xarax, I hope you appreciate that I intentionally looked for both "sailor's" and "climber's" variations of the bowline, I had you in mind when I did so ;) ]

More thoughts on the Yosemite bowline:

Bruce Smith mentions Tim Setnicka's 1980 book Wilderness Search and Rescue in his discussion of the Yosimite Bowline in his On Rope.  Similar to what he says in his Nylon Highway article (see earlier post) he states:

" (Setnicka) learned (the Yosemite finish) in his Yosemite Mountaineering School "

Smith refers to ABOK #1013 as a "Mountaineering Bowline" (as do other sources)  And Dr. Dave Merchant in Life on a Line  refers to #1013 with a Yosemite finish as a "Yosemite Mountaineering Bowline".  An interesting observation of the YMB is that is doesn't share the same weakness as #1010 with a Yosemite finish: that the tucked tail can capsize through the nipping turn if the knot isn't dressed correctly.  The correct dressing would involve first tightening the standard #1010 bowline structure, and then dressing the slack from the Yosemite tuck.  If you erroneously dress the slack out of the Yosemite tuck before dressing the #1010 body, you get the capsized (and less secure) knot as well shown in Mr. Gommers paper.  The YMB (#1013 with the Yosemite finish) cannot fully capsize in the same way.  The extra turn of the #1013 structure won't allow the Yosemite tuck to fully capsize through both of the the nipping turns.  It can only capsize through the first nipping turn, and then checks up against the second nipping turn.  This results in an ugly knot that is almost not recognizable as a bowline, and I'm sure it's not as secure and stable as a properly dressed YMB, but the point is that the YMB is more secure than a #1010 Yosemite bowline.

A suggestion I have for the paper is to discuss the risks of the #1010 bowline, and it's "failure states", as I don't think these are as widely understood as they could be.  And a discussion of these failure states leads into the usefulness of the tucking and locking variations that you show in the paper.  I see the two primary failure states that I see are "slipping" and "capsizing".  Both are a concern when the knot is not loaded in tension all the time, when the knot sees intermittent load, or varying dynamic load.  Mainly I understand failure to occur in the circumstances of the knot is slack then taut, then slack then taut....  Slipping is primarily a problem with slick synthetic lines.  Capsizing of the bowline is more of an issue with stiffer ropes (ie climbing kernmantle lines).

To help illustrate the capsizing issue, I suggest that you include tying method of the bowline in your paper.  The capsizing slip knot method (aka lightning bowline, or climber's method) is a useful method of tying the knot, as well as demonstrating (in reverse) the capsizing risk of the regular #1010 bowline.  Other useful methods are the "sailors" quick method of forming the nipping turn with the working end (rather than the rabbit/hole/tree method).  As well as the spilled half hitch technique of forming the nipping turn.

cheers
andy

PS... I'm having some trouble posting attaching all the jpgs that I intended, I'm getting an "internal server error"  :/  I'll try to post again in a little while.  The missing images are the toss tuck from the rigger's apprentice (but it's the same as what's posted from knots for boaters)  and Jack's tuck.  I'll try and get them up soon.

UPDATE!  I finally got one of  the last two pics up... it turns out that one cannot have an apostrophe in the file name.  sadly, i'm still getting an error on the last pic.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 10:46:36 PM by knot rigger »