Author Topic: Hello?  (Read 2587 times)

Chicken

Hello?
« on: February 07, 2014, 09:27:03 PM »
Hi everyone, My name's Chicken. I do some entry level sailing and I'm an arborist. Most of my climbing and lowering lines have custom whipping on the ends and I'm kinda proud of some of them. Many of my industry friends also do custom splicing and tool making. Sewn terminations are becoming very popular in tree care also. I'm ex US Navy and I was fortunate enough to have served aboard USS Missouri *BB63) in the 80s and was on a small team of sailors working on a large knot board that became a permanent fixture on the ship. If I can find pictures, I'll post them later.
  I have a question. Is there maybe a formula that I can use when making turk's heads to reduce waste? I seem to have extra cordage when I'm finished and as part of the art I would like to reduce that. Thanks an again...hello all.   
Don't go there if you can throw there.

SS369

• Global Moderator
Re: Hello?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 11:30:49 PM »
Hello Chicken and welcome.

Thank you for your prior service and your interest here. I personally hope to view the knot board if and when... Please post it in the Decorative Board (here).

I generally tie my decorative knots on-the-spool and although it sometimes a pain I never run short. I just fair it up close to the final size and cut it off. The waste is negligible.

That said, if you have the particular Turks head that you want to tie, the core size and cord diameter, there are a couple of info generators (some for globe knots too) that you plug this data into and receive a close estimate . You can design a knot to fit a core or cord size change.

http://upstream.50webs.org/turkshead/turks.html

Hope this helps you.

SS

Willeke

• knopen . ismijnhobby . nl
    • Willeke's knotted Ideas
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 05:16:55 PM »
Fast and dirty way, if you know the final dimensions, you can wrap your cord around an item of similar size, remembering to go across at an angle, like you will do in your turks head knot.

I would not use this method to cut the string but have used it many times to check whether the left over end of string would make the TH I was hoping it would.
"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools,
nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen

Writer of A booklet on lanyards, available from IGKT supplies.

PatDucey

• IGKT Pacific Americas Branch
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 09:49:34 PM »
I do the same thing the SS does.  It requires a little pre-planning to locate the termination where I can hide the ends.  Then I tighten the knot backwards from the working end, and the cut off piece is negligible.

Pat