Author Topic: 50 variations on the button knot  (Read 44936 times)

snarly

Re: 50 variations on the button knot
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2014, 01:39:20 AM »
  I have the feeling that young people prefer to talk about people, and only buy things made elsewhere, by other people, than to construct things made by their own hands ? And what is easier and more free to make than a knot

Xarax,
   I am so happy that where you come from rope and twine is free.  It is NOT free where I live.  I am decidedly NOT what could be termed the younger generation so don't be arrogant and assume that you know me or anything about me other than I took exception to the fact that I have to earn gold coins to access things that were posted on the forum for EVERYONE to use and enjoy!  I would be more than happy to post pictures for those of you who are more visually oriented but once again, updated, new and otherwise user-friendly computer equipment, cameras, etc. are not free where I live.  And I absolutely REFUSE to apologize to anyone for not being affluent or even comfortable! I am careful to spend my money wisely and membership in this guild was one of those wise purchases. I ADORE learning from, what I acknowledge to be the masters of this craft that I love.  However, that does not mean that I adore condescending, pompous arrogance from those same masters.  Thank you very much for your prompt dismissal of what I thought was possibly a couple of valid issues that might discourage newcomers from wanting to become a part of our organization.  I stated in my original post that I was truly not trying to offend and offered apologies if I did.  All you had to do was say apology accepted or not, since I think I have obviously offended you.  I was only trying to offer some food for thought.  Why don't we just agree to disagree on this and just call it a day with no hard feelings. I actually have not tried to tie any buttons knots to date and this just might make me try them just to say I can.  Have a great day.

xarax

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2014, 11:15:09 AM »
   I think I have obviously offended you.

You should not assume that... :)
   It is true that neither I nor the weaver bird (1) can imagine a world without flora and long-hair fauna, a hell of a world where rope is not free.  :)
   I can possibly understand why knotting is out of fashion, but not why one has to find various excuses for not-knotting ! And the most irrelevant of them, is what other knot tyers do ! I do not say that we should be immune to other people s behaviour - and certainly me, for one, I am not. I enjoy productive discussions, even quarrels, with other members of this Forum, and some of them had  helped me realize things I had missed till then ( I am referring to the quarrel with knot4u, which lead me to tie the TackkleClamp hitch - a indirect, convoluted, but, at the end of the day, effective route, since I was so dumb I had not followed the direct, straight route shown by Dan Lehman s S-binder...). However, no knot tyers, even the most hostile of them ( and I had met some veeery hostile and mean, in this Forum...), should be able to prohibit us from admiring the marvellous thing a knot is - and even try to parrot a weaver bird, and tie one !
   If you find it difficult to take a picture of a knot you have met or you have tied, or if you can not draw it, DESCRIBE it, with WORDS, in simple Piglish, and I promise I will publish pictures of it, using free rope.  :)

1. http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=5009.0
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 11:17:11 AM by xarax »
This is not a knot.

FreshRepublic

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2014, 04:24:28 AM »
Wish the host site wasn't worthless. Can't view any of them.

KnotMe

• The Chinese Knotting Homepage
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2014, 07:03:24 PM »
Wish the host site wasn't worthless. Can't view any of them.
From a the point of view of a newcomer, the site is quirky and full of obstacles to viewing the content but the hurdles are well worth the effort as masses of interesting and innovative content (if you are interested in decorative knotting) is posted for free constantly.  The first thing you will need is an account on the site.  I've posted a walk through for how to get an account here.

The second obstacle is the "gold coin" price for some instructions, not all.  "Gold coins" is an unfortunate naming since they are not money and unlike video game in-game purchases, you cannot obtain them by giving anyone money. Once you have an account, you start earning one gold coin a day.  So, join and wait a week to a month depending on the instructions and you can "buy" access to the instructions. Other ways to earn coins: post something useful (if people like it they will upvote your post and you get coins when they do.  Comments also earn coins) or answer questions (there are many question posted to the forum, the question will have a coin bounty offered by the poster, you can spot them by the postage stamp sized box with a number in it.  Answer the question to the poster's satisfaction and you get the bounty.

Also note that I read the site daily (sort of) and blog about interesting links here (along with interesting links from a variety of sources).

I wonder.  Would the guild be interested in setting up a guild account on the site to help members access content?

Ruby

• Exp. Member
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2014, 12:21:43 PM »

大纽扣结   over 2 under 2 button   http://bbs.zhongguojie.org/thread-6945-1-1.html

this is exactly ABoK #792。
sometimes i tie it as a bend。 my favorite one.
http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=5156.0

for users without Golden Coins or not registered, I found this webpage useful (same content):

http://www.jieyi.cc/s/hubo/index.html

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 08:46:31 AM by Ruby »