Author Topic: Advice before posting a potentially new knot...  (Read 47158 times)

WebAdmin

• Administrator
Advice before posting a potentially new knot...
« on: March 26, 2012, 11:42:46 PM »
Dear New Knot Contributor,

Thank you for the information you're about to give us, and which we hope will be a new knot, as much as you do.  There is great satisfaction in any discovery, and knotting still holds opportunities of undiscovered permutations of cord :)

Before you post, may we please assist you with the following advice:

- If you are merely trying to identify a knot, then please post in a more appropriate board, such as Practical, or Chit-Chat.  We can always move it in here if it is found to be a new knot.

- The best way to describe a new knot is with clear, concise instructions, and photographs (in contrasting cord where appropriate) which show the various stages of formation, and particularly which label or illustrate the standing part and working end.

- If you have already done experiments on the strengths and weaknesses of your knot, please explain what factors you tested and the results achieved; what kind of cordage did you use; what was the original need for this knot, and how did it develop as you tried it out?

- If you have already chosen a name for your knot, then go ahead and use it here, but we have occasionally had new knots whose names got slightly changed from their discoverer's choice, just because of the volume of discussion and the direction it took.

Knot tyers who are examining your knot will not only be checking it in their libraries or their own knowledge, but will also be experimenting with how you tied it, what you used it for, and the ways in which it failed or held.  You can expect some lively discussion around these areas, and again, that can somewhat change the knot as you know it.  Don't be offended, this is part of what all knots go through.

If the concensus is that you do have a new knot, the Forum is just one stage of "peer review".  Members of the IGKT will be familiar with our quarterly publication: Knotting Matters.  If you are only a Forum member, I encourage you to join the IGKT, as our worldwide (non-Internet) membership will be your next peer review stage.  The knot will be published in Knotting Matters, and will be reviewed there in a later edition, when there have been comments received on it.

What if it is not a new knot? There is, in knotting circles, the now infamous story of Hunter's Bend.  This was believed to be a new knot, and was presented as such on the front page of The Times in 1978.  However, it was later identified in a book from the 1950s.  This is one of the things that brought the Guild into formation.

If it isn't a new knot, then you may have at least brought back to our attention a knot that is generally out of use, and helped to create fresh interest in it, particularly in view of the problems that synthetic cordage causes for older knots.

As far as this board is concerned, your thread will be moved to a more appropriate home, such as Knot Concepts/Exploration, Practical or Decorative.

Thank you for reading our advice, and we look forwards to your submission.

Regards

Mrs Glenys Chew
Web Admin
International Guild of Knot Tyers
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 10:41:12 PM by WebAdmin »
Lesley
WebAdmin

SwampRatProductions

Re: Advice before posting a potentially new knot...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 06:17:01 PM »
To whom it may concern,
Is it ok to post a YouTube vid explaining a possible new knot?

WebAdmin

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 06:37:46 PM »
Hi SwampRatProductions,

We normally post links to videos, rather than the video itself.  I will check with our Webmistress as to technical isues over embedding a video in a Simple Machines Forum (our forum host).

Thank you,

Glenys Chew
Lesley
WebAdmin

SwampRatProductions

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 11:19:33 PM »
My bad, I didnt mean embed the vid. A link will do just fine.
Thanks for the response

SwampRatProductions

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 02:32:43 PM »
Hey guys and gals, I could use your help on this one.
I think I've come up with a "new" loop knot system and would like you to test it out. Things like ease of tying, strength and reliability.
This Variable loop system seems like it can be applied to general use, fishing, boating,  possibly climbing and more

Single Loop, on a bight(2-3 loops), stopper knot, 2-4 adjustable loops, quick release and a joining knot
There are also 5 variations to the base knot that are suitable for small bungie cord and fishing line

Let me know what ya think or if you have any information on a similar knot

Thanks

http://youtu.be/ye19XA0c4Jc

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 05:06:03 PM »
Hi SwampRatProductions,

Excellent presentation! Thank you for investing the life for us.

I have tied this a good two dozen times using the collection of ropes and cords I have and it passes muster with me. I have searched my library of knotting works and don't find it exactly, some close, but no cigar. So I vote it is "new" to me.

I found it fiddly in large rope (9mm-13mm) although it did dress out and hold using my body weight. I feel that it would need another tuck of the tail for me to feel confident (sort of without real good tests) in a life support scenario. So for now I don't recommend it for this purpose.

Using Titan 5.5mm cord (my go-to, fail all knots cord) it held as well as with the other cords, perhaps better due to the stiffness of this cord. But, it was a real bear to untie after stressing it with bouncing body weight loads. This can be said of many loop knots using this cord.

I have not tried the permutations that you have shown in your nearly 43 minute YouTube video, but I will.

You seem to be very comfortable in front of the camera. :-))

Thank you.

SS

SwampRatProductions

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 10:12:36 PM »
Thank you very much!

Sorry about the long vid but I felt it was necessary to show the whole knot system.
I look forward to more test results.

Thanks again,
Martin Herrera

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 07:07:49 PM »
Let me know what ya think or if you have any information on a similar knot

Thanks

You're severely limiting your audience by posting this as 43 minute video on YouTube.  Would you be open to posting an image or diagram of what you consider to be the best or most useful of these selection of knots?
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 07:26:50 PM »
Hey guys and gals, I could use your help on this one.
I think I've come up with a "new" loop knot system and would like you to test it out. [...]

Let me know what ya think
I tried the first loop, which I assume to be the basis for the system.  I did my standard seated calf-raise test on some 3/16" nylon, and it produced a jammed knot.  I'm still working on trying to extricate this from my rope as I write.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 07:48:44 PM by roo »
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

SwampRatProductions

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 07:50:48 PM »
No problem, let me see what i can do

Unfortuanly I dont know which knot(s) / variation is the best at the moment , which is why I need help.

I realize you probably only get one knot submitted at a time however this is kinda a package deal. I fear that if I start taking pics of the steps needed for each knot there would be a ton of pics and documentation to read through...probably too much.
I realize the vid is a bit long, lol but it should answer the majority of questions that will be asked and gives much more clear instruction than im capable of writing about.
would it help if i put links in the vid to each knot?

Does this seem to be a new knot / series ?

At the moment the indended use is with paracord.

if you turn the knot over, you should be able to bend the loop thats at the bottom of the knot forward to help break the knot. much like on a bowline. from there you should be able to work things loose.

SwampRatProductions

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 08:00:05 PM »
*At the moment the intended use is with paracord, small bungie, fishing line slippery line.... Possibly climing rope, though i dont have any of that to test with, nor have i ever gone climbing.
or perhaps more as fixed loop in small line where a knot couldnt be untied anyway.

SwampRatProductions

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 10:10:09 PM »
Perhaps this will help

Heres a 45second test video that i did. real quick, no audio. it only shows the base knot though and makes no mention of the variations
http://youtu.be/WgXDcZCyz3s

From there if people are interested in the whole system they can view the full video. i've also gone through and added links to the video for each knot. this way people can easily navigate and skip through it

perhaps if this thread gets move or a new one created, could you please post both links

thank you ,
Martin Herrera

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 11:19:20 PM »
Heres a 45second test video that i did. real quick, no audio. it only shows the base knot though and makes no mention of the variations
http://youtu.be/WgXDcZCyz3s
Aside from the earlier issue I was having, I find that the loop fails if you pull on the standing part and the loop leg belonging to the free end only.  Such a loading may occur if the loop rotates around a high-friction object, for example.

Notable Knot Index

SwampRatProductions

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 11:45:42 PM »
Wow, I hadn't knoticed that! Bummer
Good, now were vetting some where :-)

Just checked.....all.variations seem to  take care of that issue.  Give it a try

SwampRatProductions

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 11:51:07 PM »
Hmmm.....try that again. Make sure you tighten down the right side of the. Loop. Cause now i can't get it to slip out like the first time i tried. Still a possible issue though

anything