Author Topic: Double Blackwall hitch(es) (around-a-bight)  (Read 9586 times)

xarax

Double Blackwall hitch(es) (around-a-bight)
« on: February 16, 2012, 03:13:28 PM »
   A single Blackwall hitch around-a-hook may slip, but the same hitch when tied around-a-bight is much more secure - and if doubled, it is a very secure, safe, easy to tie non-jamming hitch. Se the attached pictures, for three variations of this hitch.
   Those hitches should perhaps be compared with the backhanded hitch, with has about the same complexity. Another interesting and quite secure hitch-around-a-bight, is the humble overhand !  :)  In fact, I think that this is the one and only place where a single overhand knot is so secure as a hitch -  because the standing end squeezes - very effectively-  the tail inside the curved U section of the tip of the bight.
   (See the next post, for pictures of the backhanded hitch, and the surprizingly secure overhand-around-a-bight hitch.

This is not a knot.

xarax

The Overhand-around-a-bight hitch
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 03:15:34 PM »
The backhanded hitch, and the Overhand-around-a-bight hitch.
This is not a knot.

xarax

Re: Double Blackwall hitch(es) (around-a-bight)
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 06:03:24 PM »
   When I had presented those hitches, I was not aware of the "Double Blackwall hitch", shown on fig. 10, page 30, at :
"Hanbook of Knots and Splices", by C.E. Gibson.
  However, even now I see this hitch (around a hook), I still believe that the hitches I presented here deserve this name more than the hitch shown there...
This is not a knot.

struktor

Re: Double Blackwall hitch(es) (around-a-bight)
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 07:02:39 PM »
This node is suitable for a similar trick ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neC2g5mpff0

anything