Author Topic: Silk Knot Cufflinks ?  (Read 3447 times)

Thegrovsterthang

Silk Knot Cufflinks ?
« on: June 15, 2011, 08:30:16 AM »
Hello IGKT forum!
I'm really interested in making silk knot cufflinks, but I am unable to find much information on their construction. If you're unfamiliar, I have a link to a website that sells them and explains what they are, and I also have a link to a video that shows the process, although in a manner unsuitable for replication.

http://www.silkknots.com/about-silk-knots

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8H2cUjffXU

All I know,  is that they are two interconnected knots, a variant of the Turk's Head knot, and they are comprised of three strings or chords.
If anyone could explain how to make them, I would be very grateful. Also, I think it's important you know that my knot tying skill is are novice, if that...
Thank you!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 08:07:16 AM by Thegrovsterthang »

terrybaldridge

Re: Silk Knot Cufflinks ?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 01:26:50 PM »
Hello IGKT forum!
I'm really interested in making silk knot cufflinks, but I am unable to find much information on their construction. If you're unfamiliar, I have a link to a website that selfs them and explains what they are, and I also have a link to a video that shows the process, although in a manner unsuitable for replication.

http://www.silkknots.com/about-silk-knots

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8H2cUjffXU

All I know,  is that they are two interconnected knots, a variant of the Turk's Head knot, and they are comprised of three strings or chords.
If anyone could explain how to make them, I would be very grateful. Also, I think it's important you know that my knot tying skill is are novice, if that...
Thank you!

If it were me I would probably start with lanyard knots (button knots and probably several other names). Des Pawson has good instructions in Knotcraft if you have it.  If not, here is  Stromdrane's take on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faO3rY9G_Ns

Use a couple of feet of cord, tie the first knot in the middle of the cord, then you would need to work the top loop down into the knot with the slack.  Then go down a little ways and use the two cords to make a second knot. Trim the ends and hide as necessary.  No big deal at all. 

If you want it a little fancier you can use double lanyard knots (there are youtube videos for them also). I have not tried to make the doubled knot in two colors, but it does appears possible to hide the ends inside with practice (and someone will let us know if it isn't).  After the first one is finished and pulled tight you will have a better idea how much cord you really need.  And you might have to adjust cord size, but I think rattail would work ok.  I have made earrings as I described above, I just don't have any shirts that require cuff links to try to see if they will work for cuff links.

I will be interested to hear what others say.

terry

Wed

• Exp. Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 02:27:31 PM »
You could probably make a close resembling thing with a 4 bight x 3 part turks head, judging from the all blue pair on that site.

Thegrovsterthang

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 06:46:28 AM »
     Terry-
I don't have Des Pawson, and believe it or not, I was just at the library the other day, and I looked at just about every book on knots I could find, and do not recall seeing it there either. The lanyard knots do see like a good and practical idea, and I might give them a try, but according to the manufacturer's website, it's a variety of the Turk's Head Knot. I do appreciate your suggestion though.

Wed-
I have made a close resembling thing from a 3 lead, 4 bight Turk's Head Knot. The only thing is, is that although it looks very similar, it's only made out of one strand, whereas the description on the website and the video of their production on youtube show multiple strands. Any idea on how to make a Turk's Head Knot from multiple strands?

Wed

• Exp. Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 09:52:22 AM »
Follow through, in parallel, with another cord.

If you make the base knot with two passes, you can thread a third pass in different colour between the first two. As the knot has already been made, all you need to do, is follow the original.

Thegrovsterthang

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 11:17:32 PM »
Thanks!
I've been experimenting with the two chords in parallel, and it looks pretty good. I'll try and post some pictures of the results soon.  :)

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 12:43:27 AM »
Looking forward to your showing us what you've tied Thegrovsterthang.

Please though, let's take this up in the Decorative Knotting section. Yes I know that cufflinks are practical, but........

;-)

SS

Thegrovsterthang

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 10:53:49 PM »
Sorry, I was torn between the two categories, I thought practical would be my best bet.

Atomic

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 04:15:48 AM »
In The Ultimate Book of Decorative Knots on page 464 he makes cufflinks with the Manrope Knot.