Author Topic: Yet another simple hitch/binder  (Read 11878 times)

xarax

Yet another simple hitch/binder
« on: June 01, 2011, 06:39:21 AM »
   We can replace the nipping action of a single or double turn Gleipnir-like loop around the tail(s) of a hitch, ( used in the "simple hitch a la Gleipnir", see (1)), with two half loops / bights, pulling along opposite directions. We have already met this mechanism in the Versatackle hitch. Those two U s can be in an elbow configuration ( as they are in the Versatackle self-locking mechanism), or simply be parallel to each other. This "2 U s mechanism" is capable to hold the tail(s) of a knot really tight. In this thread, I post pictures of a few variations of a simple hitch using this mechanism. If they do not have an already known and established name, I propose to call them "2U hitches".  

1) http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?PHPSESSID=cccb55c76f162ec461f0ff528d1386a4&topic=2075.0
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 06:55:14 AM by xarax »
This is not a knot.

xarax

Re: Yet another simple hitch/binder
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 06:40:47 AM »
   Here, we see the crossed U s variations
This is not a knot.

xarax

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 06:45:54 AM »
   As it always happens in similar situations, the two tails can be crossed inside the "tube" made by the nipping loop or the two U s a little more. Another variation of the "A"=parallel coils 2u s hitch (see attached pictures).
This is not a knot.

knot4u

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 07:55:58 AM »
I've seen something similar before on this site.

xarax

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 03:51:05 PM »
   This beautiful S binder (1) ,is, obviously  Smiley, not similar, but it also uses the Versatackle mechanism. ( So, it has something in common with the crossed coils "B" variations, indeed ). The apparent dissimilarity is also deeper/functional. I believe that the 2U hitches presented here  can be tensioned harder, and hold the two crossed tails going through the one common coil "tube" much better. In my kitchen experiments, they became rock solid ! May be because, to use S hitch inventor s words, in the 2U s hitches, as well as in the "simple hitch a la Gleipnir", "the line leading into the turNip are off of the object and pull hard into it and also press the ends against/towards the (firm) object..." (2). Also, the 2U hitches/binders are very easy to tie, and can be tensioned by pulling both tails simultaneously.  
  1) http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=1451.0
  2) http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=2981.msg17799#msg17799
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 04:28:17 PM by xarax »
This is not a knot.

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 08:35:30 PM »
  This beautiful S binder (1) ,is, obviously  Smiley, not similar, but it also uses the Versatackle mechanism. ...

I see the similarity Knot4U sees, I guess : but in the OP's knots (here)
the bights must overlap and the tails reach rather perpendicularly
through them with a crossing/twist to achieve nip; in my binder,
the main opposed bights are at some span apart (not overlapped
across the axis of the bound object(s)), and the opposed-bights
nipping is achieved per tail by the opposite tail's u-turn through
these first-formed bights.  And that nippiing I find distinct from
the sort of haphazard nipping achieved in the bury of the loaded
tail under turns.

--dl*
====

xarax

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 09:49:50 PM »
   The main difference between the class of 2u hitches - "simple hitch a la Gleipnir" hitches, and Dan Lehman s S binder, is that, in the former, we have brought the two nipping loops at the same place, either as an (inverted) one and a half Gleipnir nipping loop, or as two, parallel or crossed, coils, of two opposing bights, two U s. That also enables the two tails of the riding turns to be, more or less "haphazardly" ( :)), in an elbow configuration, that is, be crossed before they leave the knot s nub. That multiplies the friction induced by the nipping coil(s) on the tails.
   I have presented, earlier, binders that really belong to the same category with the DL S binder, inspired by the Versatackle mechanism. They range from more simple "mirrored" Versatackle mechanisms, to more convoluted two complex nipping coils mechanisms. See the attached pictures.
   So, we now have too many binder designs, and too few binder tests !  :) Because we also have the binders based upon double and triple coil Gleipnir-like nipping loops, the "Niptruck" by Korgan (1), the binder by dmacdd (2), Dan Lehman s binders #34 and $35 (3),  and who knows how many more !  :) I just wonder WHO is going to test those knots, to help us to discard some of them ? Our knot toolbox became too heavy...

1) http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=1870.msg17907#msg17907
     http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=1870.msg17914#msg17914
 2) http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=2996.0
 3) http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=2981.msg17780#msg17780
     http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=2981.msg17782#msg17782

« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 03:07:44 AM by xarax »
This is not a knot.

xarax

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 03:37:13 PM »
   Some pictures of a three-wrap, two-U s "tight" hitch similar to the other ones presented in this thread.
   If we do not want two lines riding over two other lines at the "top" side of the hitch, we can use one only riding turn at the bottom side, as shown at the attached pictures - thus symmetry, and easiness of inspection, is retained.
   The main reason I do not use those hitches, is that they are topologically equivalent to the overhand knot and not to the unknot, therefore they are not TIB (*). I always prefer to go one step further regarding the amount of the material required, if the more convoluted hitch is TIB, and that is why I prefer the 4-wrap Locked Double Cow hitch.

(*) On this, read the note of the next post.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 12:34:27 AM by xarax »
This is not a knot.

xarax

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 04:32:45 PM »
   Of course, if we do not want to have this riding turn over two of the wraps at the bottom side of the pole, where it is not directly visible and inspected, and we do not mind about the oblique crossings of the lines at the top side, we can always tie three-wrap, two Us  tight hitch shown below.
   I remind the reader that, as it happens with many symmetric "tight hitches" / binding knots ( the Double Locked Cow hitch included ), he has to pre-tighten this hitch by pulling both its free ends in an alternating way, one at a time, and the one after the other. The tensile forces that can be accumulated into the wraps can become very strong, but not strong enough to allow the wraps "swallow" the ends, and unlock them. The opposed bights mechanism is miraculously efficient, because, at the area of mutual contact, the tensioned lines meet each other at the optimum, the "right" angle ( 90 degrees ), and so they can "bite" hard and deep into each other s body, and maximize the generated friction forces.

(*)   Note :
   If we do not care about perfect symmetry, we can remove the crossing of the direct continuation of one ( and one only ) end with the leg of the locking bight which it meets ( i.e., pass it "over" rather than "under" this leg ), and get a very similar TIB hitch, with almost exactly the same properties regarding safety and tightness. I do not like this slight asymmetry, which, in an almost perfectly symmetric knot, looks like a fly in the ointment, but sometimes this is a price we have to pay, in order to get a TIB knot.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 12:34:48 AM by xarax »
This is not a knot.

knotsaver

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 04:21:22 PM »
2U Hitch
"For the initiated only"
 ;)

s.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 11:09:31 PM by knotsaver »

knotsaver

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 12:18:39 PM »
...and now after a while a 2 wraps (not TIB) Hitch!
I don't know if it is useful, practical, but (at least to my mind) its mechanism is wonderful!
please look at the attached pictures and try tying! have fun!
Later I will add a more explanatory picture!
There are other Hitches ready (another 2 wraps, and a 1 wrap!)
Ciao,
s.
p.s. Thanks to Xarax

knotsaver

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 06:15:59 PM »
I don't know if it is useful, practical, but (at least to my mind) its mechanism is wonderful!
please look at the attached pictures and try tying! have fun!
Later I will add a more explanatory picture!

Here it is: a more explanatory picture of the 2U 2 wraps (not TIB) Hitch.
You have to be patient with these hitches, you have to pull the ends perpendicularly to the surface of the pole and carefully one after the other.

ciao,
s.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 06:24:36 PM by knotsaver »

anything