Author Topic: Turks Head  (Read 4821 times)

jerome

Turks Head
« on: February 21, 2006, 01:31:29 AM »
Back in August I came on this forum and asked questions about Turks heads. Someone suggested Des Pawsons book, which I bought. He has a lot of nice things made in the book and gives instructions as to how to make them. I find the instructions very complicated or maybe not too clear. Does someone else have a book that is on a beginner’s level? I was able to make a Turks head that had 5 blights and 4 leads though, looks real nice. I am not positive what a lead and the blight is though. Is the leads counted around the circumference and the blights counted vertically or on the length? Eric Franklins Book, Turks Head the traditional way was suggested also, I have not bought it yet, but should have. Is that book written or illustrated in simple terms? What I want to do is put some decorative knots on a walking stick so I was looking at a long Turks heads. Thanks for any help.

PatDucey

• Exp. Member
  • IGKT Pacific Americas Branch
Re: Turks Head
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 04:01:32 AM »
Jerome,

A bight is a term for a bend, or turn in a line.  A bight in a Turks Head refers to the bumps, or turns in the line at the top and bottom of the knot.  The leads are the number of round turns the line makes through the knot.  A three lead turks head appears to be a three strand braid, except it is tied in a loop with a single line.

The way I count bights is to grab one bight, and start counting the bight right next to that one.  When I have gone around the whole knot, I count the one I am holding last.  When I count leads, I grab one line from the top of the knot to the bottom of the knot, and count how many lines crosses the one I am holding.  Then I count the one I am holding.

If you have a 5 bight x 4 lead Turks Head, and you double the plies, it is still a 5 lead x 4 bight Turks Head.  The number of plies is typically not mentioned.  Most Turks Heads you will see have two plies.  More than two plies will make the knot much more difficult to tighten up evenly.

These rules for counting leads and bights in a Turks Head only apply to common Turks Heads.  When you want to try advanced work like Pinapple Knots, or complex Turks Heads, throw the rules out the window because anything goes.  When the www.khww.net website gets back up and running, check out some of the tutorials.  I have posted some templates to tie some complex Turks Heads.  Most of the templates use a toilet paper tube as a mandrel, and make tying the knot cookbook easy.

Pat
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 04:02:13 AM by Pat_Ducey »

nautile

• Exp. Member
  • G'day to you from France
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 10:52:52 AM »
Hi !
In my opinion, for words and pictures, your best bet is to go for the books of :
( I own a copy of  Eric Franklin's booklet )

First :
- The Australian Ron Edwards's thin booklets :

- Simplified Turk's-heads

- Turk's-heads

After really getting a handle on those you may safely go to :

Second :
The bigger books by Tom Hall ( pseudo of an American Igkt memeber )

- Introduction to Turk's-head Knots probably the very best one. Author give an algorithm.

- Turk's head workbook
     Those two are not easy to find at large but you can try :http://www.angelfire.com/ak/skateworld/index.html  or http://www.ubraidit.com/pricelist.htm

- - - - - -       

I put very easy to use templates ( was for younger knotters in first intent )  on http://tinyurl.com/qlw6b
     I put a few TH among them a Moebius TH. A click on the thumbnail put it in larger size. Then a right click allow downloading.

If you are interested contact me by private mail outside the forum and I will give you the explaning illustrations I did for a friend about Lead/Part and Bight ( have to retrieve them in mo PC's hard disk.) I will throw in  some docs I found on the Web and some links.

PS : try http://www.geocities.com/roo_two/GCD.html

jerome

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 04:52:25 AM »
Thanks for the help in how to figure out the bights and leads, I am only a little confused now. I would like to get Eric Franklins book, and maybe a couple of others. There are a lot of decorative knots out there that look real nice that I would like to learn.
        Jerome

Andre van der Salm

• Exp. Member
  • I am knot crazy
    • Knots and Knot tying
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 01:06:41 AM »
Hi Jerome,

On my website I have a chapter about Turk's Head knots. The Bights and Leads are explained there as well. Perhaps this can help you a little .....

http://www.dsv.nl/~salmaj

click on the the TH knot button

Succes

André

jerome

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 05:01:58 AM »
Thanks for all the help you guys gave. I redrew a template that came off the computer and taped it to a paper tube. It was a 6 bight and 11 lead, took quite awhile but looks real nice. I need to learn a sennit brade to put on my walking stick also. You guys are a great bunch, Thanks again.
                                          Jerome