Author Topic: Turks Head Tool??  (Read 6165 times)

JohnnyDebt

Turks Head Tool??
« on: June 30, 2010, 11:39:52 AM »
In my quest to tie some fancy knots and progress from being able to just tie a granny knot, I have on occasion found videos/articles showing a flat piece of plastic or tube with pins in.

Do these tools have a special name and can they be purchased anywhere?

SS369

• Global Moderator
Re: Turks Head Tool??
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 01:15:48 PM »
One place that can be checked into for the purchase of tying mandrels is >>> http://www.knottool.com/index.html

His tools are so well made and the books are quite a good work.
Nice fella to boot.

JohnnyDebt

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 02:35:27 PM »
Many thanks SS369

Looks like a good site, I wonder he he posts to the UK?

PatDucey

• Exp. Member
  • IGKT Pacific Americas Branch
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 07:48:06 PM »
There are many grids for tying Turks Heads on tubes posted at www.khww.net  This is one where you print the paper and it wraps around a toilet paper tube.  You supply the pins, and you can be tying knots.  http://www.khww.net/articles.php?article_id=112.

I have many more Turks Head knots posted, most use a toilet paper tube as the mandrel.  It is a U-Build-It method for making your own Turks Head tool.

Pat Ducey

skyout

• Fancy Knots by skyout
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 09:41:54 PM »
Hi Johnny,

I have met Don and SS is correct, Don's a great guy! I don't think you'll have any problems getting him to send you one to the UK. He once told me when he sends them to our Service men and women in Iraq and Afghanistan that he uses venetian blind cord as packing instead of bubble wrap so they'll have rope to tie with when it arrives.

Inspired by Pat, I made (although it not as nice as Pat's) a grid for a 16p X 16b 2 Pass Type 1 Pineapple Knot that fits a toilet paper tube. If you used only one line, you could use it to tie either the 9x8 or the 7x8 Turks Head.

http://khww.net/articles.php?article_id=145

skyout

• Fancy Knots by skyout
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 10:06:14 PM »
Here are a few more links on mandrels.

TIP: turk's head mandrels!
http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/about129.html

Mandrels and Tools
http://www.taylortel.net/~stwood/mandtools.html

JohnnyDebt

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 10:01:16 AM »
Many thanks to you all for the information posted - very much appreciated!

I only started tying knots at the start of this year. My first-ever decorative knot was a monkey's fist; I spent hours following instructions and getting it very wrong. I thoroughly enjoyed the process and could not believe how difficult I found it not only to master, are also remember how to do it without following instructions.

And oh hell, I never realised that there was some need different types of "string", and what a difference using the right kind made to the end result!!

Exploration into You Tube certainly helped, also the purchase of a couple of books. I then came across Des Pawsons Knot Craft, which is currently my all time favourite book. The reason is that not only does it show me how to tie certain knots, but it also shows how to link up the different knots and create something useful. I am also lucky enough to be able to ring Des now and again for a bit of advice.

So once again many thanks to all of you assisting me through my learning phase!!

Wed

• Exp. Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 12:32:52 PM »
And oh hell, I never realised that there was some need different types of "string", and what a difference using the right kind made to the end result!!

As time goes by, you may come to think about it the other way around: With the string at hand, you chose a suitable knot. It's quite fulfilling to make something nice out of junk.

JohnnyDebt

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 02:48:45 PM »
I think also that one of the things I really enjoy about it is that it takes me away from a high-tech high-speed world we live in! I enjoy the slow pace and creativity involved with tying a knot.

You are so very right, a scruffy useless length of string can be made into something rather special!!

In 1964 a friend of my father would go beachcombing in Aden looking for washed-up strands of rope , fishing net and string. He would then sit for many in our on the beach looking out to sea at all the ships go past, whilst his hands were producing some fantastic works of art from the string that he had found.

Christmas 2009 I was clearing out my Father's house, as he had just recently become a Chelsea Pensioner. During the process I came across some of the rope work that my father's friend had made all those years ago. One item is a flyswatter made from orange nylon fishing net, and the other is a fancy handle for a bottle opener. Having seen these items again after so many years, I thought I would give it a try!!!

I will shortly post some pictures of these items as I would be very interested to know what type of knots are used on each one.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 02:51:54 PM by JohnnyDebt »

JohnnyDebt

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 03:17:30 PM »
Here are the knots that I spoke about earlier:

Fly Swatter

Bottle Opener

I wonder if someone could tell me what the knots are on each one?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 03:18:16 PM by JohnnyDebt »

PatDucey

• Exp. Member
  • IGKT Pacific Americas Branch
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 08:02:35 PM »
JohnnyDebt,

The flyswatter looks like a series of Turks Head knots, which are a single strand knot.  The knot at the back end might be a multi strand knot like a wall and crown, or something similar.

The lanyard for the bottle opener has a bunch of different knots.  Starting from the bottle opener, it looks like 4 strand sennit, a wall and crown, or perhaps a bosun lanyard knot, then the thick area is probably crown knots, and then the loop looks like 4 strand sennit.

The handle starts with a loop of coxcombing, a Turks Head, I'm not sure what the handle is, it looks like a Turks Head at the base of the handle, and the last loop could be a Turks Head.

Without holding a knot in my hand, it can be difficult to determine the method of tying.  Part of the art of our craft is being able to hide ends, and tie something that is truly difficult to determine how the heck that was done.  The person that tied these knots was certainly a craftsman.  They are beautiful examples of how sailors turned junk into art.  The craft of knotting came about because sailors had time on their hands, and access to line that was otherwise useless to the operation of the ship.  You have a very nice find there.

Pat

skyout

• Fancy Knots by skyout
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 10:42:21 PM »
Those are great finds, Johnny, really beautiful workmanship. I would call them treasures!
Thanks for sharing them and thanks to Pat for the descriptions.

JohnnyDebt

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 07:21:10 AM »
Yes I do consider them treasures!

Many thanks for giving me an insight as to what the knots are. Knowing what I know so far after only six months into this craft, I still have a lot of learning and practice to go.

These two knots were tied by a Colonel Rory Bell (Medical Core) who was at the time stationed in Aden. He also had a very battered copy of The Ashley Book of Knots. He obviously loved this book, as he learnt book binding and re-bound the book himself. I now own this book and it is one of my treasures.

skyout

• Fancy Knots by skyout
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 06:36:28 PM »
Here's one more link - Don B's video of:

Video #1 Tying a 6 Lead by 7 bight turks head knot.

Video #1 of 9. First in the series of videos that compliment my turks head books.

Introduction to the Turks Head Tool - This particular tool has a band of tape upon which the pin numbers have been written for clarity.
http://www.khww.net/infusions/the_kroax/embed.php?url=15
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 06:50:52 PM by skyout »