Author Topic: Favorite Way to Tie Trucker's Hitch  (Read 194811 times)

knot4u

Favorite Way to Tie Trucker's Hitch
« on: June 09, 2010, 11:06:25 PM »
DELETED
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 03:37:32 AM by SS369 »

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
Re: Favorite Way to Tie Trucker's Hitch
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 11:18:02 PM »
Please list your favorite combination of knots for the "trucker's hitch

The "anchor" would depend heavily on the circumstance, and if the hardware was a hook, ring, bar, or something else.

For pulley-simulating loops, both a Butterfly Loop or a Span Loop will do.  The Butterfly Loop requires no thinking about pull direction, since it doesn't matter, but a Span Loop is very pleasant to untie.

ref:
http://notableknotindex.webs.com/spanloop.html
http://notableknotindex.webs.com/butterflyloop.html
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 09:55:37 PM by roo »
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 11:49:49 PM »
I'll have to check out that span loop.  I haven't tried it.

I generally prefer a slip loop for the pulley, but if I wanted to ensure the utmost security for peace of mind, then I'd go with a fixed loop.

A variable loop that communicates with the tensioning line might very well be fine.  In the back of my mind, I'd probably be wondering if it might be subject to a poldo-tackle-type effect that might allow for some de-tensioning of the system due to vibration or jolting.

ref:
http://notableknotindex.webs.com/poldotackle.html
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 09:55:56 PM by roo »
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

jcsampson

• Exp. Member
  • Major Proponent of the Fixed-Gripper Constructs
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 01:55:37 AM »
Excellent topic for a thread!

Let's say there's a horizontal post to which you will hitch. In this context, I would usually make a Trucker's Hitch like this:

- At the other end of the line, I would first make my favorite hitch (Come on, you can guess. . . .)

- Determine the Butterfly Loop's position by beginning to make a Trucker's Hitch--which uses your hand instead of a pulley loop--around the post

- Make the Butterfly Loop at the determined position (using a clockwise turn)

- Try it out, adjust the position and size of the BL as necessary (which is very easy and comfortable once you figure out how), and finish dressing and setting it

- Make the Trucker's Hitch by taking the working end over the post, under through the Butterfly Loop, over the post again, and finally behind the Butterfly Knot, anchoring to the standing part using Two Half Hitches, and then securing the tail to the standing part by using a Fixed-Gripper Knot that is pulled taut, as far away from the Two Half Hitches as possible

- Alternatively, I might make a "perpetually adjustable" Trucker's Hitch by using--instead of Two Half Hitches--two stacked Fixed-Gripper Knots pulled taut up the line

The reason I like the BL for the TH is that, when you remove the TH, the BL stays right where it is on the line and patiently waits for your next use of the TH--so all succeeding uses (on the same truck) can be very fast, easy, and comfortable (if you hitch the other end last, to accommodate variations in load size).

Actually, you don't even need to REMOVE the TH side. Just loosen it and walk to the other side to unhitch. Reverse the procedure with a new load: Hitch and walk to the TH side to tighten.

JCS
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 02:10:55 AM by jcsampson »

Knotman

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 09:59:32 AM »
I have a ute with bars around the tray.  I tie a clove hitch on one side and throw the rope across.  With the end of the rope out behind me I tie the truckie hitch and finish with a slipped clove hitch.  The method I use means you never have to reeve the end through a knot or what you tie down to.  A loop on the bight is drawn down behind the bar and lifted up in front of the line coming across the load.  A loop from this line is drawn up through the look from the bar and locked into a round turn of the line across the load.  It looks like its going to pull out when you put a load on it but this doesn't happen. 

Darren

Knotman

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 10:56:21 PM »
if I pull down on the ear the knot spills; this is how I sometimes loosen it for untying.  In 20 years of using the knot it has never come undone in it's own.  If you're worried about people mucking around with it, would making the sheepshank ear part longer and tying a half hitch around the standing part with it  help?
Darren

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 11:42:56 PM »
 There is probably a way to tie down the trucker's hitch without having access to the rope end

It's not really necessary.  If your rope is too long, leave the excess length on the fixed (non-tensioning) side of the load (easily done with a hook using a Pile Hitch, for example).  Coil or braid up the excess.  Having the right amount of rope on the tensioning side always makes things easier, neater, and quicker.

ref:
http://notableknotindex.webs.com/pilehitch.html
http://notableknotindex.webs.com/midspan.html

Notable Knot Index

Andy

• Exp. Member
  • Five Knots a Day keeps Alzheimer's Away
    • My Selection of Most Useful Knots
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 12:25:33 PM »
Favorite way to tie a truckie?

When I worked as a "garbo", I had to tie truckie's hitches all day long to secure bins on the back of a truck.
I was taught a "quickie" way of making the truckie's hitch.
Because you only need one hand to do the "double twist", you can use the other hand to bring in the bight, and it's insanely fast.
I've documented the method here:

The "Quickie Truckie": Fast Way of Tying a Trucker's Knot

(The link sends you to the middle of a page, where the section about the truckie starts).

Smiles,

Andy
my selection of most useful knots

Andy

• Exp. Member
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 11:33:20 PM »
[EDIT: I did not post four messages in a row. It looks like that because Knot4U deleted his posts. Sorry about the confusing reading. :o ]

This video shows your version:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcz-D0kxiwo

Correct. Great resource.

That's the sheepshank version with the ear tied in a half hitch for locking.

I don't think so.
The structure on the diagram may look similar, but the flow is completely different.
The quickie truckie comes around the post at the very beginning, then the working end goes over the rope.
As a "way to tie the trucker's hitch" (the subject of the post), it's definitely different.

Moreover:
1. There's a double twist.
2. The final locking is optional.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 09:02:27 PM by Andy »

Andy

• Exp. Member
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 12:07:21 AM »
[EDIT: I did not post four messages in a row. It looks like that because Knot4U deleted his posts. Sorry about the confusing reading. :o ]

Hi knot4u,

In other words, your diagrams are the same as the video, except you have a double twist around the sheepshank ear.

No. The video is exactly the same as my pictorial. It has a double twist.

What is markedly different from my pictorial is the sheepshank diagram you posted.

You said:
That's the sheepshank version with the ear tied in a half hitch for locking.

Referring to the sheepshank diagram you posted, I replied:

I don't think so.
The structure on the diagram may look similar, but the flow is completely different.
The quickie truckie comes around the post at the very beginning, then the working end goes over the rope.
As a "way to tie the trucker's hitch" (the subject of the post), it's definitely different.

Moreover:
1. There's a double twist.
2. The final locking is optional.

Best wishes,

Andy
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 09:02:46 PM by Andy »

Andy

• Exp. Member
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 12:16:16 AM »

OK, the way you wrote your post original, "the diagram" seems to refer YOUR diagram on your website.

Okay, got it.
I think diagram" is for some kind of drawing or sketch---that's why I thought it was clear that it referred to the sheepshank drawings you posted. Not clear enough... LOL
I call my presentation a "pictorial", not a diagram. :)
Wishing you a fun weekend
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 09:03:09 PM by Andy »

jcsampson

• Exp. Member
  • Major Proponent of the Fixed-Gripper Constructs
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 01:31:08 AM »
Yeah, it's like an in-line Trucker's Hitch.

JCS

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 08:01:20 PM »
Test out the Span Loop with the Trucker's Hitch.  Let me know if you think it puts too much strain on the rope.  In the Span Loop, I noticed that there are a couple of one diameter turns inside the knot.
You can alter the initial curvature of the incoming line by how tight you tie it, but really the chances of you breaking a rope by the puny force human arms can apply on a trucker's hitch-type application is approaching zero.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 08:02:32 PM by roo »

Notable Knot Index

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 08:13:18 PM »
I just tried out the span loop on my trailer, went from rail to rail (no with load to bind down) and though it is quick, it was more difficult to untie than my go-to loop. I like the butterfly loop best in this application because I will usually leave it a bit sloppily dressed. It still holds as the "pulley" and will untie easier.
The double loop version of the butterfly does this even better, using both loops as the bearing/friction points. Has lots of meat inside too.

Yes, you do have to tie in the right place , but that's not a real big deal.

SS

TMCD

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 01:03:35 AM »
After watching that video of the guy tying the logs down using the span loop, that really seems like the easiest way for me to tie the truckers hitch. I've been toying around with this hitch for several weeks now on my kitchen table chairs.

There's so many different ways on the internet that it eventually confuses a knot novice such as myself, but the span loop method really clicks. Thanks Andy and Knot4u for the video. The guy in the video is gaining some serious leverage and mechanical advantage on that load.

anything