Author Topic: cool animated site  (Read 14539 times)

uphoffapuppyachowski

cool animated site
« on: August 29, 2008, 08:00:32 AM »
check into  www.marninews.com/bk_knots.htm    They have a sub section entitled " Andy's world of knots" 250 animated knot tying instructions.  I'm finding usefull the common constrictor ..but their presentation of a "strangle knot"has even more potent holding power.

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
Re: cool animated site
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 08:44:11 AM »
Hi,

The link won't load for me.  Would you mind checking it please.

Derek

Prajna

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 11:52:28 AM »
Derek, this works: http://www.marinews.com/

skyout

• Fancy Knots by skyout
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 08:27:19 PM »
Nice find, thanks for sharing!!! 8)
I drive a Honda and the Misc. section showed a "Honda Knot". Pretty cool.

[Inkanyezi] gone

• Pro three strand splice
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 09:02:49 AM »
I am not overwhelmed, as my first find on that site was a major error.

Instead of the Carrick Bend, an outline of the Josephine Knot is done (Macrame), which is then drawn up looking like the Carrick Bend. The method shown in animation is one of the reasons there are so much misunderstanding of this indeed very good bend that Ashley liked so much.

The correct pattern of the knot has diagonal pull, the two lines coming in from opposite directions, not at an angle as in the animation at that site. The turn of the second line then is in the same direction as of the first one, while in Marinews it is in the opposite direction.

To see the correct way of tying the Carrick Bend, look at this page:

http://web.comhem.se/~u77479609/Carrick%20Bend.html

At the bottom of the page there is a PDF sheet to download, as well as a YouTube movie of the tying method, which is innovative and has not to my knowledge been shown before (I invented it myself).

Beware of all the false Carrick Bends, there is only one true Carrick Bend!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 01:38:00 PM by Inkanyezi »
All images and text of mine published on the IGKT site is licensed according to a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 12:41:34 PM »
The Carrick Bend is not the only error on that site but Owen Nuttall showed me a simple way to tie the bend which he published in Knotting Matters some time ago (unfortunately I haven't found it yet). The instructions are fairly easy to follow though:

1.  Make a bight in the left hand rope with the end to your left.  Repeat with the right hand rope with the end to your right.

2. Place one bight over the other to form a cross (X) - it doesn't matter which is on top.

3. Now take the end of the bight on top and tuck it from behind through its own bight; repeat with the end of the bight underneath going through its own bight from the top.

4. Gently ease into the Carrick Bend form before it is tightened (like the picture above) then tighten as usual.

Works for me!

Barry
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 12:42:39 PM by Sweeney »

[Inkanyezi] gone

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 10:24:01 PM »
I won't bother to look for more errors; one is enough. When you try to teach something, it is indeed a Good Thing to first know it yourself. The guys at Marinews missed out on exactly that point, but that is not all...

I'm sorry that I cannot find the instructions re Owen Nuttall possible to follow in this form. The reason, I am sure, is linguistic. I don't grasp what a "bight" is in points 1, 2 and 3, and I cannot form a cross by laying one "bight" over the other, whether not a bight, but a round turn or a half hitch is what was intended. It might be helpful with a simple sketch.

But what's more important is that we're talking about Practical Knots. I am a rigger and a sailor. I won't use a knot that needs intricate patterns formed by one or the other part or by both. A practical knot mostly will have to be tied easily in the hand, without much chance of making an error. Preferrably you should be able to do it without any reeving. All the "Animated Knots" are shown with first one end growing, or moving like a worm, then the other one rove through the pattern. That is something that cannot be done that way, and the only practical knots that need reeving are those that can be done comfortably in your arm-chair. An anchor hitch may be formed like that, but most useful knots are not.

You should be able to tie it in complete darkness, with water pouring over you and with gloves on. The knot should not need any "gentle easing", but be ready to use after you have finished making its pattern. Among bends, the Carrick Bend is about the only one to meet those requirements. The sheet bend too may be tied in hand under awkward conditions, also in darkness, but it lacks some of the last requirements; it needs working taut, and it is not easily done wearing gloves.

I am not a "knot tyer" for knotting's own sake; I make knots as a means to an end. In my practice I need reliable knots, knots that may save someone's life, but will never put anyone's life at hazard. I cannot afford making an error when tying a bend, because I might not get a second opportunity. Therefore, reliability is a prime value, there are of course also others. After inventing a simple method to tie the Carrick Bend, I have hardly used the more regular bends, like the sheet bend or double sheet bend. Whenever a bend is needed, I use the Carrick Bend, because as Ashley says: "it is perhaps the nearest thing we have to a perfect bend".

So Barry, please show me what you mean by those bights, how you cross them and how you pass the ends, and how this can be done reliably, blindfolded, wearing gloves and under the shower (all at the same time), without any opportunity to put those lines down to follow what you are doing.

By my method I can tie the Carrick Bend at pitch dark night in a blizzard, with gloves on, even in heavy stuff; works for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTmwqYQI93Y
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 11:05:10 PM by Inkanyezi »
All images and text of mine published on the IGKT site is licensed according to a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

Znex

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 11:45:55 PM »
I'll have to give your method a try; thanks for sharing.

Here's another simple way, I find, to make a Carrick Bend. Take a look at this post... 

http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=434.msg3568#msg3568

I started tying the Carrick Bend this way after seeing similarities when I tied a Bowline, i.e. by crossing the working end and rolling my wrist to make a loop.

[Inkanyezi] gone

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 07:28:12 AM »
Thanks for sharing, it is indeed an ingenious way to do it. Seems to work best in small stuff.

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 02:20:33 PM »
So Barry, please show me what you mean by those bights, how you cross them and how you pass the ends, and how this can be done reliably, blindfolded, wearing gloves and under the shower (all at the same time), without any opportunity to put those lines down to follow what you are doing.

Attached is a diagram to better illustrate the Owen Nuttall method - I leave it you and others to decide whether it is worthwhile.

Barry

[Inkanyezi] gone

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 09:20:25 PM »
tnxalot :-)

Now we have three different methods of tying the Carrick Bend, none of them particularly difficult.

To me, it seems as the Wave Bend (derived from the Wave Loop) is an easy way to tie the Carrick Bend in small to medium stuff, while my method is more reliable under harsher conditions and in larger stuff. I have tried the Owen Nuttall method in hand, and it surely is a nice way to avoid too much hassle in tying the knot. As I see it, there is no easing needed. once the ends are rove through their respective bights, I just draw it up, and it takes its form all by itself, perhaps with a little more resistance than the two other methods.

But all three indeed are worth the while. So anyone can have their choice; my method with easy loops, no twists, works in heavy stuff and under awkward conditions; Owen Nuttall method that is the simplest outline of the knot, and the Wave method that is easy to follow, but requires twisting once and is more suitable for small to medium stuff.

Maybe the Carrick Bend merits its own thread, with all three methods presented also in video.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 09:39:29 PM by Inkanyezi »

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 05:50:05 PM »
I was searching through Ashley this afternoon (I've already forgotten what for!) and came across Owen Nuttall's method though it has no obvious connection in ABOK with a Carrick Bend - see knot #1064.

Barry

Kalts

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 04:50:55 PM »
Hi

I just registered to say thank you to Inkanyezi and Znex for sharing. Tying Carrick bend as it's usually shown is, uh, not the nicest thing in the world. I've been staying away from Carrick bend for this very reason, but now there's nothing to hold me back. Thanks.

Znex

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 02:18:05 AM »
Welcome Kalts! Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully you will find more new knots and interesting ways to tie them. I know I'm always learning new things here.

[Inkanyezi] gone

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 04:27:56 PM »
You're welcome Kalts, I too was happy to find more than one reasonable way to tie the knot. I have been using it for a long time; maybe twenty years, and that knot never failed. The features I like most is the ease of tying and the ease of untying. In practical use, it hasn't ever jammed.

I too joined not long ago, hoping to find new input, and I sure got that.

So thanks again, Znex and Barry